The states of fashion

In college, “”Where are you from?”” is often one of the first questions asked when meeting someone for the first time.

Although it’s as routine as asking someone their name, their clothing commonly gives away some sort of implication to the answer.

Here is what we found after meandering around campus on Tuesday afternoon to find students from different locations and explore the idea that a place of upbringing can be a major influence on what one wears.

Pre-business freshman Ross Peter says there’s a wide spectrum of style from his home region of Orange County.

“”There’s the beach kids with long hair and Billabong stuff,”” Peter said. “”Then there’s the L.A. type kids with tighter jeans and designer shirts.

Peter finds that he fits more in the latter category, which was evident when we spotted him wearing his Prada sunglasses and faux-hawk haircut.

Overall, Peter was California casual in his T-shirt by the art driven label RVCA and his cotton UA shorts.

On his feet were the ultimate So. Cal staple, Rainbow flip-flops.

“”If you can fall through the cracks, you can have cool style,”” said Tucson native and philosophy senior Colin Dyer.

Dyer says his clothes come from either thrift stores or they’re stolen goods from friends that he rips up to make his own, as exemplified by his jean cut-offs.

His shoes, blue Converse, disclose more of what he doesn’t like than what he does.

“”I don’t like sandals,”” Dyer said. “”Or Ugg boots.””

“”I dress to highlight my attributes,”” said communication senior Richard Sloss. “” So basically I dress in what I feel like.””

This muscular Midwesterner threw on a Ralph Lauren Polo pocket T-shirt with some Abercrombie jeans, pieces that exude his native Kansas City aesthetic, which Sloss describes as preppy, comfortable and supportive for one’s team.

“”Go Jayhawks,”” he said in reference to his University of Kansas hat.

Sloss put it all together with his Topsider loafers.

His style, he says, has kept to his roots, however, since coming to the UA, he has been influenced by his fraternity brothers from Southern California.

“”I’ve adopted a few L.A. things,”” Sloss said. “”Some Hurley hats and T-shirts.””

Kwame Hart, a journalism sophomore from North Carolina, said his style is due to that moist Southern heat.

“”It’s very humid,”” Hart said.

Hart’s look, all from Stacy Adams, is very ‘Southern gentleman,’ from his linen shirt down to his multi-hued croc shoes.

“”I’m in bright colors all the time,”” Hart said.

Hart tops it off, literally, in a matching fedora hat.

“”People say I’m more old style,”” Hart said. “”It’s the hats.””

-photos by Alan Fullmer