Police Beat: October 31

The backpack thief

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a theft from a car in a parking lot on the southeast corner of Enke Drive and Campbell Avenue at 4:40 p.m. on Oct. 26.

When the officer arrived, he spoke with a UA employee who informed the officer that his Toyota Tundra had been broken into and vandalized. The officer saw that the rear passenger side window had been shattered.

The employee told the officer that a polka dot backpack belonging to his daughter and a dark blue Nike jacket had been stolen. The man said the bag contained several miscellaneous school supplies, valued at roughly $50, and the jacket was valued at $100. Both had been in the back seat when he left the car in the lot between 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

He discovered the broken window when he returned. The man said he then searched the surrounding area for any clues before calling the police.

The officer took photos of the scene and the car, and the employee said he wanted to take part in the judicial process if a suspect was located.

Night terrors

A UAPD officer responded to a woman who said she felt threatened at Ring Road and Warren Avenue at 5:31 a.m. on Oct. 26.

The woman, a non-UA affiliate, said she was afraid to walk home and wanted to be escorted back to her residence to be sure she was safe. While en route to the scene, the officer learned the woman had an arrest warrant for a prescription drug violation from the Tucson Police Department.

When the officer arrived, the woman identified herself, and said she was afraid to go home because she lives in a bad neighborhood. The officer asked if anyone she knew was available to pick her up and drive her home, but she replied no. Throughout the conversation, the woman was breathing heavily and fast, but said she didn’t need medical assistance, only a ride home.

The woman’s warrant was confirmed through dispatch and she was placed under arrest. The officer searched the woman, but didn’t find any identification or property on her.

The officer then booked the woman and transported her to Pima County Jail.

Party at the Medical Center

A UAPD officer responded to a report of a group of drunken men stumbling around the ER ambulance bay at the University of Arizona Medical Center — University Campus at 2:11 a.m. on Oct. 26.

UAMC security guards were talking with two men, whom they believed to be intoxicated. When the officer arrived, the guards returned to patrolling the area. Both men, who were UA students, were able to identify themselves with California driver’s licenses. They were slurring their speech and had bloodshot, watery eyes.

The men informed the officer they had recently returned from an Alpha Phi date dash. They said that before the date dash, they been drinking vodka at the Coronado Residence Hall.

Though they were cooperative, neither of the students had any idea where they were, or in what direction they were headed. The officer took the students back to their dorms, and referred them to the Dean of Students for alcohol-related offenses.