Student show to help refugees

Students of the African Culture Association are set to show various forms of African culture through song, dance, skits and other performances in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center in an effort to raise money for charity.

The sixth annual culture show starts at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

“”There are many different parts of African culture so we are trying to show them here,”” said Uchenna Okeke, president of the African Students Association. “”There will be dances from North, East and West Africa as well as many other cultural things. The purpose of the show, though, is to show the African culture as dynamic and represent where we’re all from.””

Admission to the show is $8 for students and $10 for the general public. All funds will be donated to The Car Seat Project, which provides car seats to refugees, especially Sudanese women.

“”We are trying to raise around $2,000 for the car seat cause,”” Okeke said. “”It is important because by law, when women have their babies they must use a car seat to drive them home. Many refugees cannot afford car seats, though, and these could help a lot of people.””

Members of the African Students Association will be selling tickets at the door Saturday night as well as on the UA Mall Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“”We encourage everyone to come, and if you aren’t sure we have a booth on the Mall, please stop by and ask a question,”” Okeke said. “”Some of the groups have been working for months on their parts, so it will be worth it. You can learn about different cultures and help a great cause.””