Men’s tennis improves to 10-2

Sharing court time with the girls this weekend was not a problem for the No. 48 Arizona men’s tennis team. The Wildcats easily won both of their matches against Loyola Marymount on Friday 7-0 and BYU on Saturday 5-2.

The Wildcats won all three doubles games on the first day.

In singles play, No. 79 freshman Jay Goldman stepped up to compete on the No. 1 court, dominating his competitor, 6-2 and 6-1.

The team didn’t allow Loyola to win a single game as every Arizona player crushed its opponent.

One aspect the Wildcats were proud of was their ability to persevere on Saturday after losing the doubles point against BYU.

“”After the match against BYU, (head coach Tad Berkowitz) was really happy with the fact that we kept pushing after losing the first point,”” Ravid Hazi said. “”It really showed how strong we are as a team when we came back and won (five of the six) singles matches.””

On a more personal level, Pat Metham was happy with the way he played individually. “”I’ve been playing the way I should be,”” Metham said. “”There are a few areas I’ve been working on in practice, though. I’m still trying to find my footwork.

“”It’s difficult, being so tall, to get my feet moving to the ball,”” said the 6-foot-5 Metham. “”It’s not as natural for me as it would be for a shorter player.””

Overall, the two wins will provide a boost for Arizona, but Hazi sees it from another way.

“”It’ll help us with our confidence, and it is great to have this record,”” Hazi said, “”but the real matches are next weekend.””