Police: Student assaulted in dorm

Aaron Matthew Breslow was arrested and charged with three counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual abuse stemming from an early morning conflict at Coronado dormitory Wednesday.

It is not clear how Breslow entered Coronado and allegedly assaulted the female student; a Cat Card along with a personal identification number is needed to gain access to the dorm at all times. Breslow, who is not a UA student, would not have had access to either of the necessary items.

According to a University of Arizona Police Department press release, authorities responded to a call from the dormitory at 4:30 a.m. where there was a report of a sexual assault. UAPD received information that Breslow was the person responsible for the assault. He was contacted at 3:30 p.m. on Second Street and Vine Avenue and transported to UAPD for an interview. Breslow was then arrested and taken to Pima County Jail.

However, UAPD Public Information Officer Sgt. Juan Alvarez said this is not something students need to continue to fear.

“”It’s not something where there is a rapist going around raping people. The campus is safe. . . . I just want to make sure we reiterate the safety features and . . . practice safe practices,”” Alvarez said.

He also advised students to never loan their Cat Card or PIN number out and not to allow anyone to come in behind them.

“”Just be aware of your surroundings and if you see anything obviously suspicious or you’re not feeling right, if you’re threatened obviously call 911 but if there’s an issue, definitely let the (resident assistants) know.”” Alvarez added.

Johnny Cruz, director of media relations, said even though the event is serious, there are no plans to add any type of security devices to the campus.

However, Cruz said students living in Coronado will be reminded to be more cautious.

“”When something like this happens we certainly . . . feel the need to communicate again with students about safety and security measures and looking out for one another. I know the hall staff has already met with students in that building and are reinforcing many of those safety precautions that they mentioned (prior to moving into the dorms).””

This is the second sexual assault in two years at UA. In 2007 a stranger entered the Manzanita-Mohave residence hall and assaulted a student.