Dean dropped 2 Bernsen charges

The charges of sexual assault and indecent exposure against ASUA President Cade Bernsen have been officially dropped, while the investigation into other charges continues, according to a letter signed by Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students.

The letter states the allegations against Bernsen were dismissed due to a lack of evidence.

“”I have determined that the information gathered is insufficient to determine that it is more likely than not that a violation of the Student Code of Conduct has occurred,”” wrote Kowalski.

Kowalski made these conclusions based on statements made by the witnesses, the complainant and meetings with the involved parties, according to the letter dated March 20.

The allegations stemmed from a complaint made to the Dean of Students Office by a 19-year-old woman in November.

In previous interviews, both Bernsen and his father, David Bernsen, said that the two charges were dismissed but that they did not possess confirmation of this from the Dean of Students Office.

The Arizona Daily Wildcat obtained the copy of the letter last night from Bernsen’s attorney, who said he had kept the letter with him after receiving it from the Dean of Students Office.

Kowalski also stated in the letter that the investigation into the remaining Student Code of Conduct allegations is continuing.