Hoops Update: Walters out for Saturday’s exhibition

Senior center Kirk Walters will not play tomorrow in Arizona’s game against Team Georgia. Walters participated in light non-contact drills today and yesterday, but doctors did not give him the clearance to play as UA head coach Lute Olson expected on Wednesday.

“”I felt pretty good,”” said Walters who hadn’t practiced since Oct. 18. “”Obviously I’ve had a little time to rest.””

Sophomore Mohamed Tangara will start at center.

Walters and trainer Justin Kokoskie have been seeking advice from the doctor who treated the head injuries of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earlier this year.

Walters could also exchange notes with Arizona quarterback Willie Tuitama, who’s had two concussions this year,.

“”Me and Willie should probably hang out, we both have taken the concussion test who knows how many times,”” Walters said jokingly. “”We could probably trade answers.””

Junior guard Jawann McClellan will not practice today but will play tomorrow. McClellan has practiced on and off because of soreness after knee surgery in the spring.

In addition McClellan didn’t mind being ranked No.2 in the preseason Pac-10 media poll.

“”If (UCLA) wins the Pac-10 so be it, if we win the national championship, I’ll take that any day.””

Note: Former Arizona guard Chris Rodgers was drafted in the NBDL draft in the fifth round by the Sioux Falls Sky Force yesterday.