“On the spot: Alan Mamood, Political science junior”

You seem to be pretty carefree considering that  the world is supposed to end here in the next couple of years.

Ha ha, I try not to think about that. (Laughs) Technically it’s going to end soon I guess.

Well you know the newest  end-of-the-world movie, “”2012″”, came out, right? You don’t buy into that whole theory?

Well, what’s going to happen is just going to happen. Uh, do I buy into it? No.

What do you think would be some of the first warning signs for us to realize the world actually is going to end?

The first warning signs? I don’t think there’s going to be any warning signs. I think it’s just going to happen. You know, like the movies play out, everybody’s happy and then they find out that in two weeks that they’re all going to be dead or something like that. (Laughs) If it is going to happen, you know?

Hopefully we don’t have to rely on John Cusack to save us though, right?

John Cusack?

I’m pretty sure he’s the main character in “”2012″” or at least I think so.

Honestly, I don’t know who’s starring in the movie. I’ve seen the previews, that’s just about it. (Laughs)

What do you think are some of the more plausible end-of-the-world theories out there?

Some of the more plausible end-of-the-world-theories? In my opinion, if the world is ever going to come to an end it’s going to be because of nuclear warfare. That’s just my opinion (laughs). You know? You look at the weapon capabilities of countries all over the world and that’s what they have and now they’re all threatening each other with nuclear warfare. One day everybody’s going to push the button and we’re going to be our own worst enemy.

— Brian Kimball