Women’s golf has strong showing in Pac-10 opener

The No. 12 Arizona women’s golf team came out strong as the Pacific 10 Conference Championships got underway yesterday morning in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif. The Wildcats tried to prove themselves as the top team in arguably the most competitive conference in the nation – a conference that features No. 2, 3, 4 nationally teams in UCLA, USC and ASU, respectively.

That’s not to mention No. 17 California, No. 23 Stanford, No. 46 Oregon and No. 48 Washington. Given all that, there’s no telling what could happen over the next few days.

The Wildcats are currently tied for fifth place with California at 17-over-par.

“”We played a little sloppy,”” said UA head coach Shelly Haywood. “”But we hit the ball really well in some spots.””

The Wildcats have stayed competitive with the rest of the conference through their ability to play together. Senior Alison Walshe and freshman Alejandra Llaneza led the way as each shot a 2-over-par and currently sit in a ninth-place tie. Senior Mary Jacobs currently sits at 5-over-par in a tie for 24th place. Junior Amanda Wilson (8 over, 38th), sophomore Emily Mason (10 over, 41st) rounded out the scoring for the Wildcats.

“”We could have played better, but we showed some good signs, too,”” Haywood said.

No. 2 UCLA currently leads the tournament, shooting even in round one. The Bruins were led by their stars Tiffany Joh and Sydney Michaels, who both shot 2-under-par to place first and second, respectively.

Despite the tough competition, Haywood said she’s certain the Wildcats’ play will improve as the tournament proceeds.

“”I am confident we will bounce back and play well the rest of the tournament,”” Haywood said.