Editor-in-chief and the Daily Wildcat are here for you

The great Leslie Knope once said, “There’s nothing we can’t do if we work hard, never sleep and shirk all other responsibilities in our lives.” This is definitely our motto at the Daily Wildcat.

Every semester we tell ourselves that we will go to every class, do every assignment ahead of time and not spend money on junk food at the U-Mart (better known to us as the corner store). But every year, those promises to ourselves fall by the wayside, and this paper becomes our first priority.

I’ve known editors who have failed classes, lost relationships, pulled three all-nighters in a row and even one who was shot with a pepper ball by riot police. And why do we do this to ourselves? Because we love what we do.

As journalists, our job is to seek the truth and report it. We are here not for the university, not for the faculty and definitely not for our own mental health. We are here for you.

We want to make sure you are informed about any injustices, interesting studies or awesome events that are happening. If there’s a car accident on University Boulevard or celebrities come visit the campus, we want to make sure you know about it.

The UA is such a unique place in a unique town. There are so many interesting things and people here. We want to make sure that the students who participate in Roller Derby or are the underdogs in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona elections get their spotlight. We want to investigate topics like sexual assault or students who use food stamps or abuse Adderall.

But are we getting everything? Probably not. We want to hear from you, the student body, about anything we missed. We all look at our website every day and read your comments, hear your thoughts and share your ideas.

I often hear that there is no other job like this on campus, and I have to agree with that. The sleepless nights and lack of a social life are all worth it in the end when we see the paper on the stands the next day. When we receive emails thanking us for covering something, it really does mean everything.

So please, don’t be afraid to reach out. We are here for you.

Follow Joey Fisher @Jo_Fiish