Main Gate salon competition a figment of your imagination

When it comes to getting a haircut on University Boulevard, Style America or Cost Cutters seem like the obvious choices. But hidden beneath Landmark Clothing sits Boss Shears.

Tucked away below the sidewalk level, Boss Shears has been around for 18 years, long before Style America or Cost Cutters had a stake in Main Gate Square.

“”Those were just open a few years ago – the chains – we have been here for years,”” said Bianca Sanford, who owns Boss Shears.

Sanford describes her salon as, “”personal, intimate, professional. Just laid-back, very casual.””

Sanford said students come to Boss Shears because it’s convenient, especially for students who live on campus or don’t have cars.

“”Not only do we get students, but faculty and staff,”” said Sanford. “”It’s very convenient for anyone who goes to school here or works.””

But the majority of students appear to flock to the above-ground salons on the street.

Since Style America and Cost Cutters are right across from each other, you would think there would be some sort of rivalry. It turns out there is not – they are both owned by the Regis Corporation.

Style America, a Wildcat-friendly salon, offers great service and discounts to students.

“”We have people saying they like the vibe here,”” said Elise Nuñez, a cosmetologist from Style America. “”The workers here, we are all talking and outgoing.””

Students who go to Style America feel they get a better cut than at Cost Cutters.

“”They do a better job,”” said liberal arts sophomore Jessica Johnson. “”My hair looked better.””

Others are just loyal customers who keep coming back.

Ashley Rivara, an elementary education junior, said she randomly walked into Style America when she was a freshman and has been going there for three years.

Style America cosmetologist Candice Villanueva said her salon is more inviting to people.

“”Say I was outside and wanted to get a haircut,”” she said. “”I would come in here. Look, the doors are open. (When) the door is open it seems more like we’re open to people.””

Style America has many sales for students on Wildcat Wednesdays, from $2 off haircuts, $7 foils and $5 facial waxing for students to $10 to $14 for a liter of shampoo.

“”We have sales here and there,”” Nuñez said. “”I never see them having sales.””

Cost Cutters has everything a chain salon should, with many chairs, cosmetologists and a large desk at the entrance that makes you feel you’ve entered some place important.

Students choose Cost Cutters because it is a name they know and it stands out to them, as it is a national brand.

“”I think it’s because I recognized Cost Cutters,”” said Steve Vanhoy, a biochemistry alumnus. “”I’ve been to one. It’s like the McDonald’s of haircuts.””

Cost Cutters also offers a 10-percent discount to UA students.