Marana Bluegrass Concert Series features bluegrass champion

Grab your blankets and banjos folks, it’s summertime. The town of Marana will begin its Bluegrass Summer Concert Series at Crossroads at Silverbell Park, where bluegrass musicians from across Arizona grace the stage every second Saturday of each month.

This Saturday, Arizona State Guitar Champion Greg Morton will be performing in the series. Morton has won three TAMMIES (Tucson Area Music Awards) for Best Acoustic Guitarist in 2001, 2002 and 2004. His band, Greg Morton Trio, won TAMMIES for Best Country and Western Band in 2003 and Best Bluegrass Band in 2004.

Morton was born in Memphis, Tennessee and began playing guitar when he was 12 years old. His brother, Randal Morton, learned to play the banjo, and the two toured the country together. They headlined multiple bluegrass festivals and performing with various bands, including Don Ho’s band in Honolulu, Hawaii. After his travels brought him to Tucson, Greg Morton was showered with fan support and a slew of awards, making him a hot item on this summer’s bluegrass concert roster.

The concert this Saturday will open with the band Manzanita at 6:15 p.m.. The Greg Morton Band takes the stage at 7 p.m. Admission to the concert series is free, though donations are highly encouraged. Performances will run through through September.