Police Beat: Sept. 28

23 bottles of beer in my bag

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near Likins Hall on Saturday when they noticed two men walking on Vine Avenue.

One of the men put on a backpack, and then began to run. He ran past one of the officers, who stopped him. The man said he had been running because he had beer in his backpack and was only 18 years old. The officer took the backpack and found 23 cans of Keystone Light.

The man was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol. The cans were poured out and thrown away.

Stop, lock and drop to the ground

A UAPD officer was on patrol near Euclid Avenue and Second Street when he noticed two women walking on the corner at 12:30 a.m. on Saturday.

One of the women was staggering and had trouble walking. The officer asked the woman to come over and she did. She told the officer she had been drinking and was 18 years old. The officer could smell a strong odor of alcohol coming from her mouth.

The woman’s friend walked over and tried to intervene. She said she was a student at the UA, but did not have any identification with her. The officer noticed the friend also had alcohol on her breath and asked her how old she was. The woman replied she was also 18. The officer told her that when he was done filling out her friend’s minor in possession citation, she would also be receiving one. The woman locked her knees and fell backward to the ground. The officer immediately called for medical assistance, but the woman never lost consciousness and sat up after about 20 seconds.

Another officer arrived and administered preliminary breath tests to the women and both tested positive for alcohol in body. Medical personnel arrived and attended to the woman who fell. The officers asked the woman where she lived on campus and she said “Coronado,” which is a residence hall that is not open this year. The officers then discovered that both women were only 17 years old and not UA students. The woman who fell said her mother was in town for Family Weekend and was staying at a local hotel.

The officer explained that he needed to speak with a parent and one of the women gave him her phone. The officer spoke with a woman on the phone that sounded very young. The woman admitted the person on the phone was her sister.

The officer placed the woman in handcuffs and transported her to Pima County Juvenile Court Center. The other woman’s mother arrived and signed the Parent’s Promise to Appear referral. The officer gave the mother’s phone number to the court center so that she may be authorized to sign for her daughter’s friend.

MIP, literally

A UAPD officer on patrol near Arizona Stadium on Saturday around 4 p.m. received a call that Pima County Sheriff’s Office deputies patrolling the game had seen a man take a CatCard from someone and use it to get into the ZonaZoo.

The officer spoke with the man, who identified himself with his Arizona driver’s license. The officer could smell a strong, alcoholic odor coming from the man’s mouth.

He asked him if he had been drinking and the man said, “I literally only had two beers.” The man had red, watery eyes.

He was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol in body.