Police Beat

A student reported receiving harassing phone calls and a lewd e-mail, reports stated.

The student said the calls were from an unknown man whose voice he did not recognize.

According to the student, the caller said, “”I miss you. Why won’t you talk to me.””

He received about 50 to 60 similar calls, which started in August 2006.

The student also received an e-mail containing a picture of a penis. Police found no records for the name the e-mail was sent from.

Police advised the student to change his phone number and report to police if he receives any more suspicious calls or e-mails.

A student was cited for shoplifting from Divaz, 906 E. University Blvd., Feb. 7, reports stated.

The storeowner saw the student enter a dressing room with clothing items. When she exited to put the clothes back on the racks, the owner saw that an empty hanger was left in the dressing room.

He confronted the student as she was leaving, and she showed him a shirt she had put in her purse.

The owner flagged down a police officer at East University Boulevard and North Tyndall Avenue. He told the officer he had called the Tucson Police Department regarding the incident four hours earlier, but no officers had been to the store yet.

The officer spoke with the student inside the store. She said she was stealing the shirt to give to a friend for her birthday because she didn’t have the money to buy it.

She was cited and released.

A student’s purse was snatched at the Second Street Garage, 1340 E. Second Street, Feb. 7, reports stated.

The student said she was walking to her car on the top level of the parking garage when a man approached her, grabbed her purse from her shoulder and ran toward the northeast stairwell.

She called for help and a Parking and Transportation employee arrived within 10 to 15 seconds. Police searched for the man but were unable to find him.

A lipstick container belonging to the student was found on the second level of the garage. It was sent to the Department of Public Safety for fingerprint analysis.

A man was cited for driving 60 mph in a 35-mph zone Feb. 7, reports stated.

A police officer recorded the man speeding on a motorcycle while driving northbound on North Campbell Avenue from East Speedway Boulevard at 9:30 a.m.

The man told the officer, “”I don’t like to be around traffic.””

The officer asked if the man wanted to see the LIDAR reading but the man declined and said he believed the reading was correct.

A student’s car was damaged and his mp3 player was stolen Feb. 7, reports stated.

The student parked his car in lot 5073, 522 N. Tyndall Ave., at 9 a.m. He found the front passenger’s side window smashed when he returned to the car at 3:40 p.m.

The car’s dashboard was also damaged from someone attempting to remove the CD player.

No fingerprints were found on the car.

A student told police she responded to a fraudulent e-mail Feb. 2, reports stated.

The student said the e-mail appeared to be from Wells Fargo, and asked her to verify her information.

She responded to the e-mail and provided her account number and social security number.

Soon after she called Wells Fargo and learned that the e-mail was fraudulent and she closed her account.

There were no unauthorized transactions from her account.

A student’s scooter was damaged sometime between 9 p.m. Feb. 6 and 12:15 a.m. Feb. 7, reports stated.

The student told police she found that the scooter’s ignition had been partially punched in while it was parked in lot 3141, 1310 E. First St.

The damage made it difficult to insert the key into the ignition.

The police officer told the student she was not supposed to drive the scooter because it had a mandatory insurance suspension and her driver’s license was suspended.