Safe Walk expands to all

Lori Van Buggenum can think of so many things that are new with the WRC program that she has a hard time keeping up.

“”Safe Walk is completely revamped,”” said Van Buggenum,  the professional program director of the Women’s Resource Center,. What used to be a WRC intern-run program now accepts applications from all over campus.

“”Folks can volunteer just to volunteer.””

Safe Walk provides a free escorted walk for UA staff and students traveling alone at night.

The service can count for volunteer credit hours for organizations both on campus and around Tucson.

“”Safe Walk is a great way to get involved with the WRC. It’s a safety measure that’s both safe and green,”” she continued.

To work closer with the WRC, students can also apply to be interns. The Leadership and Involvement Internship program, run by both the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies and the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, allows students to apply for internships worth one to three credits.

Van Buggenum said she was open to help anyone in any major gain internship credit for working with the center.

The center is taking applications for both volunteers and interns throughout the week.

“”Everyone has women in their lives whether it be their mothers or their sisters or their daughters,”” she said.

For Van Buggenum, her position as the center’s first professional director is beneficial as well.

“”It’s helped that face-name personal relationships are in the program,”” said Jessica Whitson, a student co-director of the Women’s Resource Center, of having Van Buggenum as a constant fixture in the center.

As a transfer student, Whitson felt that the mission of the center, as well as the new director, has helped her plant both feet in the school as well as aid the center’s growth.

“”It’s two-fold for me,”” Whitson said. “”I really enjoy working to try and bring awareness to the inequalities that exist in the world (and), me being a transfer student, (the WRC) has been really great, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.””

Whitson’s passion spills into the center’s new sexual education programs, which so far have had the biggest residence hall turnouts the center has ever seen.

“”(The WRC) has taught me to question the world around me,”” said Eva Izhieman, another student co-director. Izhieman’s programs, such as the WRC Film Series and the Breast Parties, enhanceto the center’s mission.

“”When we pool our resources, we can help create better programs,”” Van Buggenum said of the facets of ASUA and the UA campus that the center has partnered with.

“”It’s not just about how one identifies with gender. It’s about race, class, ability,”” she said. “”I’m fiercely passionate about helping students. I have the best job.””