M-golf disappoints in season opener

Inconsistent play from the majority of the UA men’s golf team resulted in a disappointing start to the 2009-10 season.

The Wildcats finished in 10th place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate over the weekend in Albuquerque, N.M., posting a 24-over-par 888 team score.

“”The team didn’t play very well,”” said junior Tarquin MacManus, UA’s top golfer. “”We just didn’t get it done this week.””

The ‘Cats were troubled early on and finished the first day of play in 12th place.

“”It was a bit of a struggle from the get go,”” MacManus said. “”We got off on our back foot and couldn’t get out of the hole we dug for ourselves.””

The team shot a first-round score of 8-over-par 296, followed by a 2-over-par 290 and a final-round 14-over-par 302.

In addition to the mediocre play, the team faced a lighting delay Friday night, which suspended the second-round of play after 32 holes. Arizona played out the second-round on Saturday morning.

For two rounds, MacManus was the bright spot for the team until a final-round score of 76 knocked him from top-five contention. Over the course of three rounds, MacManus shot a 71, 68 and 76 for a 1-under-par 215 final score.

While his 13th overall finish and team-low 68 in the second round were impressive, MacManus feels he could have played a lot better to help the team.

“”To be honest, I’m pretty disappointed,”” he said. “”I put myself in contention to get out of the final round and played pretty awful that final round. I feel like I could have posed a real challenge to the leader.””

A better final round from MacManus would have certainly helped the team’s chances, but the junior All-American had little support.

The remaining starting lineup of senior Rich Saferian, juniors Jonathan Khan and John Kostis, and freshman Trent Redfern couldn’t string together enough good rounds to warrant a better finish.

Saferian, the team’s only senior starter, tied for 41st place with a 6-over-par 222.  Juniors Khan and Kostis tied for 66th overall at 12-over-par 228. Meanwhile, Redfern played his first tournament as a Wildcat, but his 75th place, 15-over-par 231 left much to be desired.

UNLV won the tournament, blowing away the competition by a 16-stroke margin.

The Wildcats will have a chance to redeem themselves on Oct. 5, when they play in the Wolf Pack Classic in Reno, Nev.

“”We are disappointed, but there’s not much you can do about it but look to the next tournament,”” MacManus said.