Just desserts abound in t-town

Pastry Captain Amanda Hepler weighs cookie dough before baking at Beyond Bread on North Campbell Avenue.

Who can say no to dessert? If anything, dessert should be its own special meal. Tucson offers up plenty of delightful and sugary options that will leave even the sweetest of sweet tooths satisfied.

Stop by Beyond Bread for a killer chocolate chip cookie. Along with a plethora of desserts that include fruit tarts and crÇùme brulee, Beyond Bread offers the king of all chocolate chip cookies. Need some ice cream with your hot, gooey cookie? Armitage Wine Lounge at La Encantada has you covered. Their freshly baked deep-dish cookie is topped with mounds of ice cream and whipped cream – while it may be a heart attack on a plate, it’s well worth it.

If cake is more your style, stop by the Something Sweet Dessert Lounge for a post-dinner bite. Open late and serving up some intense cakes in all the flavors one could desire, Something Sweet lives up to its name. But beware: Bring a dessert-eating companion because the slices are rich and sometimes too intense for one person.

Looking to cool down with some ice cream? Step out of the ice cream box and try Frost’s gelato. Made in the store with fresh ingredients, this dense ice-cream-on-steroids is as close to authentic European gelato as you can get. But if you’re craving a milkshake, try Austin’s. The old-style diner that just relocated further up Broadway has every flavor a milkshaker could desire.

If you need a good dose of chocolate in the form of a brownie, then head into Raging Sage. The brownie there can make even the most finicky brownie eater swoon.

But if something more foreign is calling your name, Tucson has you covered. North at La Encantada offers the creamiest, lightest panna cotta in town. Just vanilla-y enough with an array of fresh berries on top and warm roasted almonds, North’s panna cotta is to die for. Another Italian classic, tiramisu is a go-to dessert that Vivace does just right. The smooth mascarpone and espresso melt into the ladyfinger base beautifully. It’s by far the best in town.

If you’re willing to venture out of Italy, go for a little taste of Mexico. Taqueria Pico de Gallo serves a lovely flan. The egg-based custard drizzled with caramel sauce is just right with its smooth texture.

You’re not done eating until you’ve had dessert, so head out into Tucson and you’re bound to find your favorite.

Beyond Bread
    3026 N. Campbell Ave.

Armitage Wine Lounge
    2905 E. Skyline Drive

Something Sweet Dessert Lounge
    5319 E. Speedway Blvd.

Vivace
    4310 N. Campbell Ave.

North
    2995 E. Skyline Dr.

Taqueria Pico De Gallo
    2618 S. Sixth Ave.

Raging Sage
    2458 N. Campbell Ave.

Austin’s
    6129 E. Broadway Blvd.

Frost
    7131 N. Oracle Road # 101
    7301 E. Tanque Verde Road
    2995 E. Skyline Drive