Track and field foursome seeks qualifying marks

A quartet of Wildcats will try to continue the No. 10 Arizona men and unranked women’s track and field teams’ early-season successes this weekend as they return to Flagstaff to compete in the Mountain “”T”” Invitational.

After competing in last week’s Arizona/California Challenge in Flagstaff, senior thrower Sara Vigil and junior decathlete Jacob Arnold will be among the handful of athletes competing in the one-day indoor meet starting at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Freshman jumper Shevel Quinley will make her Wildcat debut this weekend as well.

The purpose of the competition is to get better qualifying performances, Harvey said.

Vigil, who set both a school record and a new personal best for the second consecutive week by throwing a toss of 19.95 meters last weekend, should do well, Harvey said.

“”Sara Vigil is on a roll,”” Harvey said. “”We really expect her to continue her improvement.””

Vigil said she is excited for the opportunity that many of her teammates do not have.

“”I would love to get another foot or two added to my personal record this weekend,”” Vigil said. “”It will take a lot of pressure off and allow me to really have fun when we head up to Seattle in a couple of weeks.””

Arnold, who will be competing in the heptathlon, said he is also excited.

“”Hopefully I get automatic marks for indoor nationals, which is 5,650 points,”” Arnold said.

Sophomore pole vaulter Nick Mossberg, a transfer from Pima Community College, will also compete in the event.

“”He’s the new kid on the team,”” Harvey said. “”(He) opened up real well last week, and we want to give him a opportunity … to improve his marks.””

Mossberg said he would like to clear five meters in the pole vault.

“”It shouldn’t be a problem, but I have had very few practice sessions since I’ve transferred over this spring,”” he said.