Catching up with Nick Foles

Alan Walsh / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Alan Walsh
Alan Walsh / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Editor’s Note: UA quarterback Nick Foles was officially deemed Matt Scott’s backup prior to the Wildcats’ 19-6 season-opening win against Central Michigan. Arizona coaches said each signal caller earned the right to play on game day because of their efforts in fall camp, but Scott took every snap during Arizona’s win against the Chippewas. The Arizona Daily Wildcat’s Brian Kimball caught up with Foles after Tuesday evening’s practice to discuss his reaction to not playing, his excitement about Saturday’s upcoming game against NAU and his relationship with Scott.

Your coaches promised that you’re going to get in and get some snaps on Saturday against NAU, how exciting is that at this point?

It’s exciting. You always want to play, but I’m just excited about the game and going out there as a team and competing.

Was it disappointing to not get in the game on Saturday?

You always want to play, but to see us win, that was the most important thing. That’s what I was most happy about seeing.

How do you think you came through the fall camp? Did you feel like you put yourself in the position you needed to be in to win the starting quarterback job?

Yeah, I couldn’t have done anything better. I played every day the best that I could. But you’ve got to go with the coaches’ decision and support whatever decision they go with because it’s about the team. It’s not about me, it’s about the team, and the main thing is we won the game. That’s what I was happy about.

Did offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes or head coach Mike Stoops explain why you didn’t get in the game against Central Michigan?

The game was close and they just wanted to keep a rhythm in at quarterback. As a quarterback, you’ve got to have a rhythm, so I totally understand that, being a quarterback, and I understand why they did that.

How do you think you’ve come through these past six months of stress regarding the quarterback competition? Has it made you a stronger person?

Yeah, it definitely makes you stronger. Every day you have to deal with it, and the main thing I learned was that you’ve just got to focus on the task ahead and that was just the practice and the drills and going one step at a time and taking it slow and not looking at the big picture.

What are some realistic goals for you for the season?

Just keep performing in practice, keep the confidence of the guys and show them that I’m still as sharp as I ever was.

What’s your relationship with Matt (Scott) right now?

It’s the same. We both get along and I’m going to cheer him on when he’s on the field. It’s a team thing and he’s the quarterback out there playing, so I’m going to cheer his butt on and hope he throws a billion touchdowns and wins us some games.