Sport Brief

Mike Candrea
    Mike Candrea

Arizona softball head coach Mike Candrea was officially named the USA Softball coach for the 2008 Summer Olympics yesterday, for which he will take a leave of absence from the UA.

The 23-year head coach took a leave four years ago to lead the 2004 U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal, running off a 9-0 record in the only year of the last 20 the Wildcats failed to reach the Women’s College World Series.

“”It’s an honor. Any time you get an opportunity like this it’s a chance of a lifetime,”” Candrea said in a press release. “”I feel very blessed that I’ve been able to do it twice. It’s an honor and a wonderful feeling to be able to work with the best athletes in the country and the world. I enjoy the process and the pressure of going into the arena. I’m looking forward to the upcoming year.””

Candrea will be joined by four former Wildcats – pitchers Jennie Finch and Alicia Hollowell, outfielder Caitlin Lowe and second baseman Lovie Jung – on the 18-player roster, made up of 15 eligible players and three alternates.

The quartet has 12 All-America college honors combined and could add to the five gold medals won by former UA players. Finch and Jung played for the ’04 medalists. Hollowell and Lowe joined the team in 2005.

“”Those four players were obviously outstanding players here at Arizona,”” Candrea said, “”and they had the opportunity to take their game to the next level. They have all done a nice job of representing the Untied States and the sport. I look forward to all of them making great contributions for this team.””

– Arizona Daily Wildcat