Calendar

Rap-artist Mims will show Tucson why hes hot when he takes the stage at The Rialto Theatre on Friday at 7 p.m. Tickets are $26.
    Rap-artist Mims will show Tucson why he’s hot when he takes the stage at The Rialto Theatre on Friday at 7 p.m. Tickets are $26.

Today

Hip-hop dance class – If it wasn’t easy enough to do just by watching MTV, now you can learn from an instructor how to wave your arms around and grab your crotch while growling. All right, they also teach you R&B, street jazz and respected dance moves from other genres, but doesn’t that just sound so fun? 7:45 p.m. $7-12. The DanceLoft, 620 E. 19th Street, Apartment 150

Friday

Mims – It just really irks me that the guy never really provides the reasons why he’s hot. Yeah, he’s “”fly,”” but that just doesn’t suffice in a world full of other fly rappers who may or may not also be hot. Does he have a sweet ride? Nice kids? Is he good in the kitchen? Maybe he’ll go into further detail during his show. 8 p.m. $26. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress Street

First Friday Shorts – It’s that time again. Time to rip out your eyes and assorted organs and cry uncontrollably. Watching some of these amateur videos will give you no other choice. Or maybe you can settle for shouting things at the screen. 9 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Saturday

Joshua Olivera’s “”Sweetwater Series”” – This art exhibition will feature abstract paintings of squares and circles and crap in lots of earthy colors. But the cool thing is, they’re all on wood panels, so if you’re a closeted pyro you can test out your willpower. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free. The Gallery at 6th & 6th, 439 N. Sixth Ave., Suite 17

Tucson Roller Derby Play-Off – All four teams will be playing one another to determine who gets to go to the championships. You know what that means: twice as many tacky leggings. 6-10:30 p.m. $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Bladeworld, 1065 W. Grant Road

Sunday

John Vanderslice – This indie rock musician makes me think of Conor Oberst in 15 years. He plays folksy acoustic guitar but sprinkles in some electronics and anthemic lyrics here and there. Plus, he has an ultra-sceney haircut for someone who’s, like, 40. 9:30 p.m. $8. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

When Art Films Ruled the Earth: A Bergman/Antonioni Double Feature – The Loft Cinema will be showing two movies from famous European art directors Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni. Bergman’s “”Persona”” is a precursor to surreal thrillers like “”Mullholand Drive,”” and Antonioni’s “”Blowup”” is about a London photographer who thinks he’s accidentally photographed a murder. 1 p.m. $5 for one, $8 for both. The Loft Cinema.

Monday

Faculty Artist Series: “”Music of the Superpowers”” – Four UA music professors will perform pieces from American and Soviet composers that reflect Cold War philosophies. They’ll also play a piece by Samuel Barber, whose music has been featured in “”The Elephant Man”” and “”AmǸlie.”” 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall, School of Music building, 1017 N. Olive Drive

Tuesday

Book discussion – “”Suite Francaise,”” by Irene Nemirovsky, is a historical novel written when Germany invaded Paris in the 1940s. The author died at Auschwitz, and the book was discovered by her daughter in the ’90s. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Free. Borders, 4235 N. Oracle Road

Magnolia Electric Co. – Everyone compares this band to Neil Young, but that probably happens to every band with a folksy retro sound. Nevertheless, some of its songs, like “”Montgomery,”” are reminiscent of the Young classic “”Heart of Gold.”” 8:30 p.m. $6 in advance, $7 at the door. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Wednesday

Don Grice recital – To be honest, aside from the fact that he plays the organ, I have no idea who this guy is. But I have a dream that even organ players and Eastside kids with pirate mustaches will someday earn the same exposure as Paris Hilton and that politician who touches guys in the bathroom. Change the world, and the world will change you. 7 p.m. Free. Holsclaw Hall, School of Music building.

compiled by Andi Berlin