Women’s Liberation Planning Legal Suit Against University

The Women’s Liberation Movement organized in Tucson Thursday night plans to force equalization of men’s and women’s rules by suing the University.

About 40 women attended the meeting at the Peace and Freedom Association and agreed the rules were discriminatory, the only way to bring about a change being suit with the help of the Arizona  Civil Liberties Union.

JOY CHAMBERLAIN, the founder of the movement in Tucson and a University freshman, said a suit and its publicity would also make women aware of the need for women’s  liberation.

Other programs the organization planned to begin were to provide information on birth control, work for repeal of abortion laws and convince working women that by organizing they can approve wage and hiring practices.

The group also hoped to stop “”channeling”” of high school girls into secretarial curricula by counselors’ suggestions.

MISS CHAMBERLAIN said unless girls are “”really brainy”” they are discouraged from taking mathematics or science programs. She said oppression of women began long ago when the owning of private property began and each woman became a man’s property.

Another girl said, “” It’s just sort of become part of our lives. You just sort of know you’re not quite as good as men.””

She said the organization should “”let high school girls know they’re people,”” and that each person is whole in himself, rather than men and women being complementary halves.

THE GROUP agreed that women shouldn’t become aggressors, which would just reverse the roles. They also decided that men should be admitted after the movement is better organized and has  definite plans and goals.

The next meeting of the movement was scheduled for September 28 at 8 p.m. at the Peace and Freedom Association, 1028 E. 6th St.