Police Beat: Sept. 22

Keeping your butts out of trouble

Two men were cited and released for criminal littering by a University of Arizona Police department officer on Friday at 1:20 a.m.

A UAPD officer noticed a vehicle driving with only one headlight on Speedway Boulevard. The patrol car followed and caught up to the vehicle. The officer watched as the passenger flicked his lit cigarette onto the sidewalk. The driver also then threw his lit cigarette into the street.

The officer then made contact with the two men, who stated they had no idea that it was illegal to drop cigarettes on the ground. Both were arrested on charges of criminal littering and released at the scene. The driver was also cited civilly for not having two required headlights. The two men were given copies of their citations.

Pop a bottle, let your body wobble … down Highland

A UAPD officer saw a man staggering on a sidewalk on Friday about 12:30 a.m.

The officer made contact with the man, who’s breath smelled strongly of alcohol. The man said he was at another man’s house earlier, where he had drunk six to seven beers.

He was unable to or refused to give the officer the name of the man who was hosting the party but stated he had heard about it from some friends at school. The man was 18 years old and was cited and released for Minor in Possession.

Bolt cutters vs. cable lock

On Thursday at 9:06 a.m., two unknown men cut the cable lock on a bicycle at Sky View apartments.

At approximately 9:11 a.m., an officer responded to the apartments after receiving a report of a bike theft. The reporting party witnessed the bicycle being stolen on the north side of the apartment complex by two men who had been loitering by the bike racks about five minutes before the officer arrived.

According to the witness, one of the men used bolt cutters to remove the bike from the rack. He then put the bolt cutters down the front of his jeans and left Sky View apartments on foot, headed westward. The other man left eastbound with the bicycle. The witness, who was not the owner of the bicycle, came out to the bike racks and found the cut cable lock. He was holding the damaged cable locks in his hands as he spoke to the officer.

The officer took the cable from the witness, who stated said he would only be able to identify one of the men because he did not get a good enough look at the other.

The officer who responded to the case and circulated the area with other units but did not find anyone matching the witnesses’ description.

It is unknown at this time who the owner of the bicycle actually was. The cable lock was placed into property as evidence.

Out of sight, out of bike rack

A student contacted UAPD to report that his bicycle had been stolen from the bike racks outside the Center of Creative Photography on Friday.

At approximately 7 p.m., the student stated to police that he locked his bike to the bike racks using a cable lock at approximately 1 p.m. He noticed that his bike was gone when he returned at about 6:50 p.m., the lock was cut and left on the ground. The bicycle is valued at approximately $800 and the lock at $25. No further information is known at this time.