UAPD officer dies in scuba accident

UAPD officer dies in scuba accident

The University of Arizona Police Department is saying goodbye to a lost comrade who died Tuesday in a scuba diving accident while on vacation with his family.

Officer Daniel Forchione, a 15-year veteran of the force, was scuba diving off the coast of Southern California.

Complications with Forchione’s air tank apparently led the officer to remove the apparatus after a dive off the Southern California coast, according to Lifeguard Lt. Andy Lerum.

He was recovered 65 feet underwater and attempts to resuscitate him proved unsuccessful.

Forchione was 46 years old.

Forchione began his career with the UAPD in February 1994. He was initially assigned as a motor officer with the traffic unit, which also trains officers in police motorcycle driving techniques.

UAPD Sgt. Juan Alvarez, a police spokesman, said he knew Forchione well.

“”He was well-liked in the department and well-known in the traffic unit. Officer Forchione will be missed,”” Alvarez said.

In addition to serving on the traffic unit, Forchione was one of the best police liaisons that served the UA community, Alvarez said.

“”He was a dedicated police officer who could put almost anyone at ease,”” he said. “”It’s a great loss, and we’re all dealing with it in our own way.””

Forchione is survived by his wife and eight-month-old daughter. The family is receiving assistance from the San Diego Police Department, UAPD and the Tucson Police Department. Forchione’s wife is a TPD officer.

Information about services is not available at this time. UAPD asks the community to show support while local law enforcement grieves the loss of a dedicated officer and friend to the UA student body.

— The Associated Press

contributed to this article.