Weekly farmers’ market brings more than smells to campus

Leia Linn

Jtown Bakery sells cookies and cheesecake on the University of Arizona campus in Tucson, Arizona.  The bakery participates in the UA Farmer’s Market every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The farmers market on the University of Arizona Mall has stands selling various goods such as tapestries, jewelry, incense, fresh produce and other foods. The stands visit the UA Mall every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Students can learn more about the different products vendors sell, get to know the vendors themselves and even grab a quick bite to eat on their way to class.

RELATED: UA professor invited to Super Bowl by Arizona Cardinals football player

Blanca Carrillo is the manager for the Churros Inzunza stand, which sells different kinds of churros for everyone to enjoy, including people who have dietary restrictions.

Through her translator, Andrea Coronado, Carrillo said, “We sell healthy, vegan, gluten-free food that’s also traditional.”

Carrillo’s stand is a way for her to keep the tradition of churro-making in her family. 

“It’s a family recipe, and my father has been doing it for more than 50 years,” Carrillo said. “I’m sharing part of my culture with the community.”

Ilise SpiderWoman is another vendor and the owner of the SpiderWoman Therapies booth at the market, she said that selling at UA is different than at other vending locations.

“I have customers that visit me every time I’m here, ” SpiderWoman said. “The students, as well as faculty and other employees, are really happy to see us here.”

Carrillo explained why grabbing a quick bite to eat can turn out to be a better experience for some than expected. This is especially true if the food being cooked or produced at the market reminds them of home in any way, Carrillo said.

RELATED: TSC seeks to give transfer students the full UA experience

“It’s really special, because a lot of times, students come and they’re missing home,” Carilo said “It’s really nice to share an aspect of home.”

Kelley Costales, who runs the Purple Sky Incense stand, said she likes the community aspect of the farmers market. 

Food, art, candles, jewelry, and more can be found at the University of Arizona Farmer's Market that happens every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the mall.  The market is made up of local businesses.
Food, art, candles, jewelry, and more can be found at the University of Arizona Farmer’s Market that happens every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the mall.  The market is made up of local businesses.

“These are small businesses who live here in the community, and the support in the community is everything to us,” Costales said.

Alice Lau is a worker at the Cloudy Chain LLC Jewelry stand and a senior at UA. She said that she particularly enjoys the food aspect of the farmers market.

“I personally don’t feel like I could eat the food in the union all week,” Lau said. “It can be really crowded.”

The meal plan the UA provides allows access to many chain restaurants with only a few freshly made meals, according to the Arizona Student Union website. The farmers’ market acts as an alternative and allows students to grab a meal that is cooked on the spot and ready to take on the go. 

Andrew Fitzpatrick, a senior at UA, said he likes to take advantage of the food at the market. He said he likes that there are various Mexican foods that are authentic and cheaper than food in the Student Union.

Lau explained how many people don’t come to the market because they don’t have classes around it, and that others don’t know about it at all.

“I personally wished they had a schedule out and then put it out places where students can actually see it,” Lau said, which would make it easier for students to know exactly when and where the market is.

Given the unique things people can find, there are new things students may only come across at the market and new experiences are always good, according to Costales. 

“There’s a lot of unique things here to see,” Costales said. 

Follow Margaux on Twitter