Baseball: Three Wildcats on All-Pac-10 Team

Gordon Bates /Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Gordon Bates
    Gordon Bates /Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona baseball team has been led by sophomores Jett Bandy and Steve Selsky and freshman Kurt Heyer all season long so it was only fitting that the trio was selected to the All-Pacific-10 Conference team on Thursday.

Both Bandy and Selsky started all 55 games and hit the cover off of the ball while bolstering the meat of the Wildcats lineup.

In his first season at catcher, where he started 48 games, Bandy hit .367 and was up around .500 for the better part of the first half of the season.

The 6-foot-4 catcher ranked No. 4 in the Pac-10 in batting average, No. 5 (77) in hits, No. 6 in runs scored (52) and No. 2 in doubles (22). He spent the majority of the season as the three-hole hitter and played for about seven weeks with a fractured toe.

Bandy was the hottest Wildcat bat early in the season, but Selsky has been the model of consistency since day one. The right fielder the regular season hitting .383 and led the Pac-10 in hits (85).

He’s hit anywhere from leadoff to fourth for the Wildcats and finished the season ranked No. 3 in runs (56), No. 5 in RBIs (53), while landing in the top-10 in doubles (17), triples (6) and home runs (8).

While Bandy and Selsky were expected to have big years, no one could have expected Heyer to grab the ball on opening day then grab the Friday-night spot and hang onto it all season.

In his collegiate debut, Heyer struck out 13 in six innings of work and set the tone for the rest of the season. The 6-foot-2 freshman right-hander struck out an Arizona freshman record 104 hitters during the regular season while walking only 15.

He finished the regular season with a 6-4 record in 96.0 innings while boasting a 3.28 ERA, good enough for 10th in the Pac-10.

Eight Wildcats also received Pac-10 honorable mention. Four freshmen – Alex Mejia, Seth Mejias-Brean, Robert Refsnyder and Joey Rickard – made the list while two sophomores – Bryce Bandilla and Kyle Simon – and lone senior Rafael Valenzuela also received honors.