Police Beat 10/31/2018: On the Outside Looking In

Courtesy UAPD

University of Arizona Police Department officers on the UA campus. 

Rear Window

A mysterious man was reported lurking outside the Alpha Phi sorority house and looking through windows Oct. 17.

An officer from the University of Arizona Police Department arrived on scene at approximately 11:50 p.m. after receiving a call from the housemother stating that a sorority member saw a man, who looked older than college-aged, peeping in. 

Once the officer arrived, the housemother showed him surveillance footage of the incident.

The footage revealed a male suspect entering the house’s front yard at approximately 11:40 p.m. and walking around the corner of the building. He proceeded to look into several different windows in the house before leaving at approximately 11:57 p.m.

At one of the windows, he allegedly looked directly at a sorority member inside the house as she walked by. 

The officer asked to speak with the sorority member that initially noticed the suspect, as she may have been able to identify him.

At this point, the officer received word from another UAPD officer at a nearby 7-Eleven who had spotted a man matching the description of the suspect in the convenience store.

The officer drove to the convenience store and positively identified him as the suspect in the security footage.

According to the officer at 7-Eleven, the man agreed to speak with the officer, and the officer asked him if he was at the house.

The man, who allegedly appeared irritated, said, “Yeah, that was me. I was over at the house. I am the one you are looking for,” according to the police report.

Under probable cause, the officer detained the man for further questioning. He handcuffed him and removed him from the store.

RELATED: Police Beat: Homecoming 2018 Edition

The officer who identified the man drove slowly past the 7-Eleven with the sorority member who originally saw the suspect outside the house, as she had agreed to see if the man was the same one she saw earlier.

She told the officer that she was not able to fully see the suspect outside the house, but the man detained at 7-Eleven did not appear to be the same person. 

However, based on the positive identification from officer who saw the footage and the confession from the man, the officer at the 7-Eleven arrested the man for criminal trespass of the first degree, as well as an exclusionary order from all UA property. The man was booked in Pima County Jail.

Texas Driver

The long arm of the law finally caught up to a man from Texas after blowing through a red light led to a traffic stop that revealed a full extradition warrant.

A UAPD officer was stopped at the corner of Speedway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue on the night of Oct. 16 at approximately 9:45 p.m. when he spotted a red and blue car speed through the intersection.

The officer stopped the car and asked the driver to identify himself. The man complied, giving the officer his Texas driver’s license. 

Upon completing a records check, the officer discovered that the man had a parole violation warrant out of Texas. The warrant included full extradition and also indicated that the man may have been in possession of an illegal weapon.

At this point, two other officers arrived on scene. 

The officer who originally initiated the traffic stop had the man step out of the car. While exiting the vehicle, the man told the officer that there was a firearm in the car under his seat. The officer patted the man down and handcuffed him. 

RELATED: Police Beat 10/17/2018: Student Union Special

One of the assisting officers spoke with the car’s passenger, who said that she had no idea there was a firearm in the car. The other assisting officer located and secured a .40 caliber handgun. 

Once the full extradition warrant was confirmed and the officers also established that the man was not allowed to possess a firearm, the original officer arrested the man. During the arrest, the officer discovered a roll of money in the man’s pocket totaling $347.

After the officer read him his rights, the man told him that he was in Arizona staying with the passenger. The passenger corroborated this story.

He also stated that he did not know that he had a warrant out on him, though he did admit that he knew he was a prohibited possessor.

One of the assistant officers transported the man to Pima County Jail where he was booked for the parole warrant, possession of a firearm by a prohibited possessor and for being an out-of-state fugitive from justice.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter