Police Beat: August 20

12 inches too short

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded at about 3 p.m. on Aug. 12 to an accident at the west end of Arizona Stadium. According to the report, an Arizona Athletics employee was driving a rented Enterprise box truck containing football equipment, which was being delivered to lockers on the northwest side of the stadium. The employee told the officer that he had entered the stadium without any problems, passing under a sign indicating 10 feet of clearance through a tunnel under the stands. On the way out, the truck passed through a different gate, which only had nine feet of clearance, and the top of the truck made contact with a walkway above the gate.

A risk management officer assessed the damage and determined that there was no structural damage.

The employee who had driven the truck told officers he had returned the truck to Enterprise, but he did have a photo on his phone of the “obvious” damage to the top of the vehicle. The officer took a photo of the phone displaying the image, then placed the photo into UAPD Property and Evidence.
    The employee agreed to try to obtain more information on the truck, and called officers two days later with make, model and license plate information. The officer contacted Enterprise and learned the truck had been taken to a repair shop. The Enterprise employee had no information on how much the repairs would cost.

UA vehicle unknowingly towed

A UAPD officer responded to a report of a stolen UA-registered vehicle from the Office of Arid Lands Studies at the intersection of East Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue at about noon on Aug. 13.

When the officer arrived on the scene, he performed a records search for the vehicle and searched the immediate area, but found nothing. The officer called dispatch to confirm that the vehicle had been entered into the department’s system as stolen, and found that the vehicle had been towed by Frontier Towing after being reported to the Tucson Police Department as an unsecured vehicle located in a shopping center parking lot on South Sixth Avenue. The report indicated that the vehicle’s ignition had been damaged.

The officer informed the employee assigned to the vehicle that it had been recovered, and advised the employee to contact risk management to assess the damage. Victim’s rights information was mailed to risk management. The employee who reported the incident signed an agreement to participate in any judicial proceedings regarding the vehicle.

Drive takes turn for the worst

A UAPD officer conducted a traffic stop at about 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 12 in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven just west of Campbell Avenue on Speedway Boulevard after he noticed a driver make a right-hand turn into the parking lot without using a turn signal. The driver, who was a non-UA affiliated man, said he had used his turn signal, but that he had been having electrical problems with it lately, and that the signal only worked intermittently. The officer asked the driver for identification, and learned upon performing a records check that the man’s license had been suspended in Pima County for failure to appear in court. The man told the officer he was ordered to appear because he had stopped paying for another citation after losing his job. The officer cited and released the driver, and the vehicle was towed and impounded by Tucson Wrecker. The vehicle will remain impounded for 30 days.