Psych prof. receives award for ‘above and beyond’ dedication

Assistant professor of psychology Stephanie Fryberg teaches a class in the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center yesterday morning after receiving the Five Star Faculty Award for excellence in teaching.

The Five Star Faculty Award committee surprised its latest recipient of the annual award with a cake and cookies during her class yesterday in the ILC.

Stephanie Fryberg, an assistant professor of psychology, went through a rigorous application process, which included submitting her curriculum vitae and a teaching statement, being interviewed and being observed teaching in her class.

“”I never thought I would win this award; it was an honor to even be nominated,”” Fryberg said.

In the running were five other professors selected as finalists by the four-member committee composed solely of honors students, which received more than 80 nominations. Seven students submitted nominations for Fryberg.

“”We felt she displayed a really apparent dedication to teaching above and beyond the normal teacher,”” said Sara Button, a member of the selection committee. “”All the finalists were stellar, and there was a phenomenal pool this year.””

Although the official ceremony is not until April 17, the committee surprised Fryberg in class to show her students what a tremendous professor they have, said Carrie Pixler, co-chair of the selection committee.

“”I’m very surprised – there are so many great teachers, it’s hard to imagine just one standing out,”” Fryberg said. “”I’m so overwhelmed, but it’s nice to be appreciated.””

Along with the award, Fryberg also received $1,000, and she said she will probably use the money to get her through the summer because she won’t receive pay in the summer.

Fryberg received her doctorate from Stanford University and teaches undergraduate introduction courses as well as honors and graduate courses in cultural and social psychology.

Students agreed Fryberg deserved the award and were happy she was honored for her hard work.

“”She runs the lectures as well as a small class as far as being interactive,”” said Kristen Lutzky, a psychology senior. “”When you have something to say, she makes you feel like your contribution is valid.””

Lutzky was surprised Fryberg remembered her from when she took one of Fryberg’s smaller classes two years ago.

Irene Yeh, a psychology lab manager, said she has known Fryberg for five years – previously as a student at Stanford – and is convinced her mentorship, personal and professional commitment is phenomenal.

“”On a personal level, she challenges you by believing you can always be better,”” Yeh said.

Yeh said she was impressed one time in particular when Fryberg had a presentation to prepare for a conference but instead sacrificed her time to help students and colleagues the entire day, only working on her presentation late into the night.

“”She’s always putting students and other people first,”” Yeh said.

Rabiah Muhammad, a psychology senior, said she likes Fryberg’s teaching style.

“”When she teaches you can relate everything to her, which makes the concepts easy to recall,”” Muhammad said.

Muhammad also admires Fryberg for her cultural background as an American Indian.

“”She’s a good role model and has accomplished so much for how young she is,”” Muhammad said. “”She is from Washington and was really poor but went to Stanford to receive her master’s and doctorate.””