“UA top-ranked in popularity of newspaper, party atmosphere”

The UA has the second-best college newspaper and is ranked 18th among the best party schools in the nation, according to a Princeton Review student survey.

The University of Texas at Austin took the No. 1 party school spot for the second year in a row, beating out second-ranked Pennsylvania State University and third-ranked West Virginia University.

Brigham Young University was voted the most “”stone-cold sober”” school for the 10th straight year.

The results, which were released in the Princeton Review’s “”The Best 361 Colleges,”” were compiled from surveys taken by more than 100,000 students from college campuses across country.

The UA was also ranked No. 11 in use of hard liquor and No. 19 in beer drinking.

Not making into the top three party schools didn’t bother students, who said they feel a person’s social life depends heavily on the individual.

“”I’d say it depends on the person,”” said accounting senior Mark Lonnecker. “”If you want to party, you’re going to have the opportunity at any school, including U of A.””

Rachel Shadron, a biology freshman, agreed and said she didn’t feel being the No. 1 party school is all that special.

“”Every school has parties,”” Shadron said. “”I’m here for school. I’d rather have a school with good academics.””

The idea of students prioritizing academics over partying appeals to Juan Garcia, vice provost of academic affairs, who said that students are becoming increasingly educated about the responsibilities that come with consuming alcohol.

“”There has been a universitywide effort to educate students on their rolls in their education,”” Garcia said. “”Students themselves are more aware of their responsibilities.””

As for the No. 18 party-school ranking, Garcia said, “”I don’t do much partying, so I can’t comment on how accurate that is.””

The Arizona Daily Wildcat dropped from the top college newspaper to No. 2, coming in behind Yale University’s Yale Daily News.

Paige Nichols, an undeclared junior, said she agreed with the Wildcat’s place in the ranking.

“”I read it every single day,”” Nichols said. “”It has everything from local stories to police beat to interesting facts. I think it’s an awesome newspaper, actually.””

“”It’s a tremendous and exciting opportunity both for the students of the University of Arizona and the staff of the Arizona Daily Wildcat,”” said Nicole Santa Cruz, editor in chief of the Wildcat.

Santa Cruz said it is rewarding to know that the work being done by the newspaper is being noticed by students.

Some of the No. 1 schools in the Princeton Review’s “”361 Best Colleges 2007 Edition”” rankings:

Best overall academic (experience) for undergraduates:

University of Chicago

Professors get high marks:
    Middlebury College
    Most politically active students:
    American University
    Lots of beer(usage reported high):
    University of Wisconsin at Madison
    Toughest to get into:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Best college library:
    Harvard College
    Diverse student population:
    DePaul University
    Lots of hard liquor (usage reported high):
    Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge
    Students never stop studying (report high number of hours they study each day):
    California Institute of
    Technology
    Students happy
    with (financial aid):

Princeton University
    Students pray on a regular
    basis (most religious students):

Brigham Young University
    Reefer madness (marijuana usage reported high):
    Warren Wilson College
    Students (almost) never study (report low number of hours they study each day):
    University of Iowa
    Happiest students:
    Brown University
    Students pack the stadiums (intercollegiate sports
    popular):

University of Notre Dame
    Major frat and sorority scene:
    DePauw University
    Most beautiful campus:
    Pepperdine University
    Best college radio station:
    Emerson College
    Best campus food:
    Bowdoin College