Arizona History Museum opens doors for Museum Day

Alex McIntyre

A statue of John Campbell Greenway stands guard near the entrance to the Arizona History Museum at 949 E Second St. on Thursday, Sept. 10. The museum offers daily admission for the low cost of $5 in addition to other events.

In honor of the Smithsonian Magazine’s 15th annual Museum Day, the Arizona History Museum will open its doors free of charge to ticket holders this Saturday, Sept. 21 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Each year, the Smithsonian Magazine partners with various museums across the country to provide attendees free access to their histories and collections, according to Jaynie Adams, the education curator for the Arizona Historical Society.

The Smithsonian Magazine chooses a theme for every annual Museum Day, and this year’s theme is “Year of Music,” according to the Smithsonian Magazine. Participating museums all over the country will celebrate by showcasing their music collections.

RELATED: Exploring grief through art exhibitions

The Arizona History Museum is no exception.

“This year, we want to celebrate Arizona and Tucson’s rich musical legacy,” Adams said. “All Tucsonans from every background and from all walks of life have contributed to the soundscape of Tucson.”

According to the Smithsonian Magazine, the Year of Music “highlights and shares our vast musical holdings, bringing together our resources in history, art, culture, science and education.”

At the Arizona History Museum, Museum Day participants will be able to experience both continuing exhibitions, including some musical history, activities and programs — even a musical scavenger hunt. The Arizona History Museum plans to pull special objects from its other collections that speak to Tucson’s musical past.

“We’ll have tour guides available [and] lots of activities and fun planned,” said Breann Velasco, a guest experience specialist at the Arizona History Museum. “There will be plenty of staff and volunteers working to make this day great.”

RELATED: Apollo 11’s moon landing celebrates 50 years

With seven history museums in Arizona, three of which are located in Tucson, “there is something to do everywhere across the state on Saturday,” Adams said.

To receive a free Museum Day ticket, visit smithsonian.com/museumday and select the museum you intend to visit. According to the website, only one ticket is permitted per email, but each ticket admits two people. The Arizona History Museum asks visitors to bring in a printed ticket rather than an electronic one. 

The Arizona History Museum is located on 949 E. Second St. Visitors can get validated parking tickets for the Main Gate Parking Garage, located at 815 E. Second St.

For more information or questions about the event, call (520) 628-5774.

“[The Arizona History Museum has] everyone’s history here,” Adams said. “We want to invite the community to come and explore other histories for themselves.”

Follow Vianney on Twitter