Walshe shoots 7-over in LPGA debut in Calif.

UA senior golfer Alison Walshe carded a 7-over-par in her LPGA debut in the Kraft-Nabisco Championship in Rancho Mirage, Calif., to finish in a tie for 79th place.

The tournament was the first major of the year on the LPGA Tour and Walshe held her own with the world’s best. She posted a 6-over-par 78 first round and a 1-over-par second round on her way to placing fourth-highest among amateurs at the event.

“”My goal going in to the tournament was just like any other, to play well,”” Walshe said. “”I didn’t really play well on the first day and I guess that put me out of it.””

Walshe hit six birdies, seven bogeys and three double bogeys over the two rounds and was just two strokes shy of making the cut (5 over) and playing two additional rounds.

Former Wildcat Lorena Ochoa won the event (11-under-par) and earned $300,000 while fellow Arizona alumna Annika Sorenstam tied for second (6-under-par).

Walshe spoke with both LPGA stars during the tournament and said both women offered encouraging words and told her “”it was just great that I was out there (competing).

“”The experience itself (helped me a lot) and it just shows how (the LPGA) runs and what the routine is like,”” added future LPGA hopeful Walshe about what she would take away from the tournament. “”Everything in general, I think, will be a positive experience to help me in the future. It was a lot of fun.””