Police Beat: June 6

Being human is a disease

University of Arizona Police Department headquarters received a call from a UA employee regarding a suspicious letter found in her employee mailbox written by a male student on May 21 at 7 p.m.
    Officers called the employee in regards to the suspicious letter. The employee told the officers that the letter made major verbal harassment threats and that she wished to notify the police.
    Officers gave excerpts in the report of some of the letter’s details. The student had written “her actions and sadness made me weep.” The letter continued to say, “Call me and together we can solve this disease of being human beings.” Officers noted in the report that the employee was alarmed and wished to have the police notify the student to cease contacting her. The officers then contacted the student and notified him that he needed to end further contact with her. According to the student, he said that they were acquaintances. He told the officers that they met for the day before the incident. Officers informed him again to avoid contacting her or he would be arrested for harassment. The student told officers he understood.

Don’t cut corners

UAPD officers pulled over a white Jeep on May 22 at 4:30 a.m. on Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue for cutting through the intersection’s Taco Bell. The first officer approached the Tucson citizen who wasn’t affiliated with the UA and informed the driver that it was illegal to cut a corner through a business. The officer then asked for his driver’s license, proof of insurance and registration. The suspect replied, “I don’t have my wallet on me, sir, this is my friend’s car.” The officer asked him for his name and scanned it through the radio. UAPD responded and informed the officer that his license had been suspended. The suspect replied to the officer that he was unaware why his license was suspended. The first officer began filling out paperwork for his ticket and asked the individual to step out of the car. The second officer began searching the vehicle and found a 2-inch wooden box of marijuana in the second console of the vehicle. The individual stated that the marijuana was not his when he was asked whose it was. He also told the officer that he does not smoke marijuana. The suspect was placed under arrest for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving with a suspended license and use of private property to avoid a traffic control device. The individual was cited and his vehicle was impounded. The marijuana and paraphernalia were placed in UAPD Property and Evidence.