Music: Golden boots tucson group redefines country

Dimitri Manos has a simple explanation for how a Jersey native settled in the southern Arizona desert.

“”I found myself heading towards California and got as far as Tucson,”” he said.

In 2001, Manos and Ryan Eggleston met eating pancakes at a neighborhood breakfast in Tucson. This weekend, they’ll celebrate with the city that got them started.

“”Playing in town I actually find to be a little bit weird,”” said Manos. “”It’s kind of like playing at your parents’ house or something.””

Manos and Eggleston came together to create the psychedelic folk-rock sound of Golden Boots, a new addition to Park the Van Records with a CD release show at Plush on 4th Avenue this Saturday night.

The album, The Winter of Our Discotheque, is an easy-listening, kick-back-and-relax mesh of Johnny Cash and The Doors. Its slow and rugged country roots are carried by rolling bass rhythms.

“”We don’t really have limitations on us stylistically,”” Eggleston said. “”It’s always a patchwork, grab bag of influence.””

Discotheque is an abstract compilation that expanded over about three months of casual recording.

“”We don’t usually record anything in one stretch of time with any one set of ideas,”” Manos said. The second track, “”Easy Lie,”” has a simple, jazzy undertone that works wonders in contrast to the raspy folk vocals. A rock driven “”Love is in the Air”” is followed by an alternative country ballad called “”Knife.”” As a whole, the album is a cohesive-sounding clash of contrasting styles.

The abstract nature of their music opens the door for interpretation.

“”If it works, then it becomes personal for someone,”” Eggleston said.

“”There’s something nice in being able to understand it on your own terms,”” Manos added.

Translating the recorded sound to a stage is a challenge in itself, and Eggleston hopes to give back with every Golden Boots show.

“”I always think about all the great live performances I’ve seen, when you feel really good and happy, and you hope someone gets that out of watching your performance,”” he said.

The new record deal and national tour, which includes dates in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle, may bode well for the future according to Eggleston, that’s not what the band is concerned with.

“”I don’t think it’s a question of making it big or not. It’s just being able to continue doing what we’re doing,”” he said.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Golden Boots

CD RELEASE AT PLUSH

friday, january 30

10:30-11:15 p.m. – $7