Two hospitalized for injuries from car accident near UA campus

Hailey Eisenbach
Hailey Eisenbach / Arizona Daily Wildcat Car accident involving a motorist and motorcycle on 6th Street and Highland Avenue on the evening of Wednesday, January 9.

Two unidentified people riding a motorcycle suffered non-life threatening injuries at approximately 5 p.m. when a car struck them at the intersection of East Sixth Street and North Cherry Avenue.

“They were just laying there. They weren’t moving a whole lot,” said John Michael Slocum, an undeclared freshman who witnessed the accident from his dorm window across the street.

According to Tucson Police Department Sgt. D. Fernandez, the motorcycle was traveling eastbound on Sixth Street in the curb lane when a white sedan going westbound turned left onto Cherry Avenue, striking the motorcycle.

“There was a big crash, that’s all I heard, and I didn’t bother to look outside until I heard all the sirens. I looked outside and saw that,” Slocum said, pointing at the accident.

The car was stopped in the middle of the lane on Cherry Avenue after the collision, with moderate damage to the front bumper and the motorcycle pinned under the front of the car, totaled and leaking gasoline. The police on scene coned off the accident, allowing for traffic to pass slowly by the wreckage.

The unidentified driver of the white sedan was the only person in the car and was uninjured in the crash. She stayed on the scene after the motorcyclists were taken to the hospital with family and friends.

The accident occurred between Arizona Stadium and the Student Recreation Center, where students gathered to watch.

“My friend Gabriel, whose room I was just in, told me to come down there and I saw them take them away in the ambulance,” Slocum said, referring to Navajo Residence Hall, located in the south stands of the stadium.

Sgt. Fernandez could not confirm which driver was at fault for the accident because there were “conflicting reports as to the light cycle.” Final reports are pending further investigation.