Provost search near end

After months of searching and interviewing, the search for the next provost and executive vice president of the UA has been narrowed down to three candidates.

Meredith Hay, vice president for research at the University of Iowa, Pramod P. Khargonekar, dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Florida and Robert D. Newman, dean of humanities and associate vice president for Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Utah were chosen by a 27-member search committee appointed by President Robert Shelton last April.

The committee selected the three finalists from a total of 113 original nominees, according to the president’s office.

Vicki Chandler, regents’ professor of plant sciences, director of the BIO5 Institute and chair of the provost search committee, said while making the decision was difficult, the top three finalists really stood out.

“”All three are extremely strong scholars in their field with impressive administrative expertise at major public universities,”” she said. “”They have also demonstrated a breadth of interest and knowledge and experience beyond their own particular field.””

Tommy Bruce, student body president and member of the search committee, said many students may not realize the importance of the provost position, second in command to President Shelton.

“”The position affects student life on a day-to-day basis,”” he said. Anything that has to do with academics, advising, registration, budget – it all filters up to the provost,”” he said.

Each of the finalists will make a two-day visit to campus starting next week, where they will participate in an open forum addressing the UA community.

The first forum will be Tuesday, with Meredith Hay from the University of Iowa addressing the campus community. Following Hay is the Thursday forum with Pramod P. Khargonekar from the University of Florida. The last forum is Feb. 4 with Robert D. Newman from the University of Utah.

All of the forums will take place from 4-5:30 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center’s North Ballroom.

Students are encouraged to attend the forums, Bruce said.

“”It’s important for students to attend and show the next provost what is on their minds, what is on the forefront of student issues,”” Bruce said. “”We are influencing who will be put in charge second in line to the president and not every school has this opportunity.””

Following a speech by the candidates, students will be able to ask questions and a rating form will give students the chance to evaluate each of the candidates, Bruce said.

President Shelton will take the evaluations into consideration when he selects the next provost.

Shelton said he is impressed by the search committee and looks forward to interviewing each of the candidates.

“”The search team really did a marvelous job in their selection; each of the candidates have an extraordinary resume,”” he said. “”Everyone should be interested in finding out what these finalists will bring to the job.””

Shelton said he will be looking for which candidate best fits the role at the UA and best matches the community’s priorities. He will base his decision on the overall recommendation of the committee and the input he receives from the campus community as well as the individual meetings with each of the candidates.

“”We are interviewing them as they are interviewing us,”” he said. “”Let us see their personality, as they see the personality of the UA.””