Arizona baseball hires assistant coach Pickler

Arizona baseball head coach Andy Lopez announced the hiring of assistant coach Jeff Pickler Monday.

Pickler joins the Wildcats after former UA assistant coach Jeff Casper left the program to pursue other career opportunities.

“”We are extremely fortunate to be able to add Jeff Pickler to our staff,”” Lopez said in a press conference. “”But we are going to miss Jeff Casper. He was a valuable asset to our program and we wish him the best in his future. I cannot thank him enough for everything he did for us, and I am very happy for his new opportunity.””

Pickler joins the program after working for the Arizona Diamondbacks as an advance scout and consultant since 2006.

Pickler, an All-American and Southeastern Conference Player of the Year in 1998, was selected in the 11th round of the 1998 MLB Draft after leading Tennessee with a .445 average.

“”I’m grateful for the opportunity to become part of a university and a baseball program that I have long held in high regard,”” Pickler said in a release. “”I would be remiss in not expressing my gratitude and admiration for the Diamondbacks’ organization during my time with the ball club.

“”However, as the son of a college baseball coach, I believe that going to work every day on Jerry Kendall Field is truly going to feel like where I belong. I look forward to working with the staff to help lead a passionate group of Wildcat student-athletes on and off the diamond.””

The Wildcats begin fall practice Monday.