Tucson Film and Music Festival leaves fond memories behind

The Tucson Film and Music Festival wrapped up last week, but not without giving viewers memories to take home with them.

More than 20 music videos were shown during the “”Music Video-rama”” segment of the festival at Crossroads Cinema Oct. 11, displaying innovative special effects and interesting video concepts. Holy Rolling Empire’s “”Bipolar Bear Mania,”” directed by recent UA Media Arts graduate Chelsea Coles, was a visually stimulating treat representing a child’s playhouse with dolls, figurines and bears.

David Neff, a Tucsonan, recruited local Tucson children to perform in his charming “”Westward Soldier!”” Mitch Barany’s “”City of Noise”” revealed “”brain-teaser”” like effects, echoing the videos of ’80s singer Peter Gabriel.

Tucson’s wistful, hazy summers were deeply felt in Gairo Cuevas’s “”Suzie,”” and searing sensual dancing on desert land pervaded Brook Gauthier’s “”Thresheld.”” Graveyard scenes in hip-hop videos are rare, but they were on display in Joshua Dragotta’s “”Short Winded.”” Among the videos released, “”Her Morning Elegance,”” by Oren Lavie and Yuval Nathan, was the most riveting, as it featured a flipbook-like story of a woman sleepwalking in her bed through various day-to-day activities.

Coles, who now lives in L.A., told the Daily Wildcat she credits her training at the UA for her success. “”The UA program catered well to me and a lot of freedom was given to us,”” she said.

Coles, who was also the art director for the film, said the one aspect of filmmaking she doesn’t like is “”not having a large enough budget.”” She adds that productions become more efficient with a “”lot less waste. This will help me in the future.””

Jeffrey Ruggles’ “”Bicycle Lane,”” which received its world premiere at the festival Oct. 11, takes a “”day-in-the-life”” view of Don, the lead character (played by Don Black), as he travels the streets of Los Angeles on a bicycle. According to Ruggles, the short film took 2-3 days to shoot (on a $4,000 budget) and was shot guerilla-style. This allowed audience members an intimate experience with Don as he was faced with one obstacle after another in his journey to his love interest’s birthday party.

Some scenes were filled with awkward silences, but Ruggles said it was an attempt to stay true to life of a man and his bicycle. The acting was fine, with the best aspect being Black’s frustration-riddled performance. Black and his band GHIANT composed most of the film’s score.