Police Beat

A man was cited for driving with a suspended license Jan. 14, reports stated.

Police stopped his car near East Speedway Boulevard and North Norton Avenue after a records check showed that the car’s registration expired inMay.

The man gave police his driver’s license and said it may have been suspended.

A records check showed his driver’s license was suspended in January 2005.

The man’s vehicle was impounded. He was cited and released at the scene.

A university van was damaged between 5 p.m. Jan. 12 and 12:30 p.m. Jan. 14.

A university employee reported the damage to police Jan. 14 when he saw one of the van’s windows had been smashed while it was parked outside of the Kuiper Space Sciences building, 1629 E. University Blvd.

A chair from the building was found next to the van. The chair matched others on the third floor of the building.

Two dents on the roof of the van matched the wheels of the chair. Police were unable to get fingerprints from the chair.

A student’s bicycle seat and saddle rack were stolen from his bicycle between 8 p.m. Jan. 13 and 2:30 a.m. Jan. 14, reports stated.

The bicycle was locked to the bicycle racks on the south side of La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student’s car was keyed in the Administration Garage, 1340 E. Second St., Jan. 14, reports stated.

The damage occurred sometime between noon and 3 p.m.

The car was keyed from the driver’s door to the rear of the car.

The student said he didn’t know of anyone who might have vandalized his car.

An unknown person wrote “”Kill Arabs now”” on an elevator door in the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd.., Jan. 14, reports stated.

An employee told police someone wrote it in black marker some time between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man was arrested for threatening and intimidating a police officer Jan. 14, reports stated.

Police officers were conducting traffic at North Cherry Avenue and East Fourth Street when the man attempted to cross Fourth Street. Officers asked him to stop and wait, and he asked them why.

Police asked him to step out of the street again and to wait to cross so he wouldn’t get hit by traffic. The man looked across the street and said, “”But there aren’t any fucking cars coming.””

The man continued arguing with the officer but he walked back to the sidewalk and threatened legal action against the police officer.

When the officer asked for the man’s ID, he continued arguing. When the officer told him he was going to be cited for failing to obey an officer, the man shouted, “”I wasn’t even doing anything.””

He continued yelling and walking closer to the officer. When he was a foot away, the officer asked him to stop moving forward. The man replied, “”I’m going to break you.””

The officer attempted to handcuff the man, but he pulled away from him twice before he was brought to the ground and handcuffed.

The man was charged with failing to obey a police officer, threatening and intimidating a police officer and resisting arrest. He was booked into Pima County Jail.

Two students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking Jan. 14, reports stated.

Police noticed many vehicles parked outside of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house, 1441 N. Cherry Ave. Music could be heard coming from the house’s courtyard and a group of girls were walking into the house.

Police spoke with the fraternity’s president who said the party was a small gathering and that police could come inside.

One of the officers asked for the ID of a woman at the party who was holding a can of beer. She was 18.

Another officer saw a woman say “”Cops, cops, cops,”” while placing a can of beer she was holding on the ground. She told police she was holding the beer for a friend. She was also 18.

Both were reported to the Dean of Students Office and the fraternity president told the fraternity to end the party.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found athttp://www.uapd.arizona.edu