Review: Zayn heads in a new direction with ‘Mind of Mine’

Javierosh (CC BY 2.0)
    Zayn Malik at One Direction’s “Where We Are Tour” in April, 2014. Malik released his first solo album Mind of Mine on the anniversary of his leaving One Direction.

On March 25, 2015, Zayn Malik left British boy band, One Direction. One year later, the singer debuted his first solo album, Mind of Mine.

The once One Direction star now goes by the persona of Zayn and added his own personal style to the album. Malik’s style includes a mixture of R&B, alternative R&B and pop which defines his new voice as a solo artist.

After a 57-second instrumental, “MiNd Of MiNd,” blended into the hit song “PILLOWTALK.” “PILLOWTALK” was released on Jan. 29 ahead of the album and quickly became a hit. The song shows off a sexier side of the former One Direction star and demonstrates how much he has matured from his start in the band. The dramatic, yet seductive song sets the mood for the rest of the album.

“iT’s YoU,” comes after “PILLOWTALK” slowed down the tempo and made it sensual. The notes of love definitely were shown by a slow beat and impressive vocal range Zayn used within the song.

The fourth song, “BeFoUr” brings the tempo back up. The dance tempo in the background and Malik’sdeep voice make the song super sexy, but also a song worthy of random dancing or even romantic enough for a date night. Set up a nice candlelit dinner and “BeFoUr” is the perfect backdrop song. “BeFoUr” was another song that the singer debuted before the album was released.

“sHe” is a good song off the album, but not the best. Its dance beats set it apart from all of the other songs, but Malik’s voice keeps the sexy undertone that the entire album has. This is the type of song that would be played at prom rather than a date night.

Overall, Malik’s new album, Mind of Mine is a solid B+. Considering that it is his debut album, it’s quite good as a starting base. It is interesting that he decided to make the style of his songs R&B and pop; the depth of his voice without a doubt mesh well.

Follow Erica Szpylczyn on Twitter.