Track and field finish weekend on low note

With the NCAA National Championship around the corner, this weekend was the final stretch for Arizona men and women’s track and field. However, the last-chance meets didn’t go as well as some athletes had hoped for.

Junior LaTisha Holden and the women’s 4×400-meter relay team of Deanna Sullivan, Echos Blevins, Georganne Moline and Andrea Menhennet headed to Ames, Iowa, for the NCAA Qualifier at Lied Recreation Center on Saturday.

But the women’s 4x400m team didn’t get the time they needed to move them up the descending order list for nationals, as they finished in seventh with a time of 3:39.40 — a school record for the women’s 4x400m.

“”It went good, but it could have gone better,”” said redshirt sophomore Blevins. “”We (achieved a personal record) but we just had to run a lot faster than what we thought we had to.””

“”We wanted to go to nationals and that’s not going to happen,”” she added. “”But overall we had a good indoor season.””

For Holden, things can only get better for her after falling during the 60m-hurdle race.

“”It’s just one of those days that I have to go forward from,”” Holden said. “”Just recover and hope that they bring more than 14 people to nationals.””

Holden is currently ranked 17th in the 60m hurdle and will find out if she has been selected for nationals by Monday at the latest.

“”I’m going to continue training,”” she said. “”I’m not done and there’s still outdoor season.””

For the Arizona men, senior Mohamud Ige was at the Alex Wilson Invitational in Notre Dame, Ind. He participated in the men’s 5000m run and finished 17th with a time of 14:26.47.