Tucson’s down-home weekend getaways

Press Photo
    Press Photo

Comparatively, Tucson is a bohemian paradise in a sea of relatively traditional society. But even happenin’ people like the Wildcat’s readers can only go to so many trendy bars or artsy shows without getting a little bored. Why not have a good, old-fashioned, down-home hootenanny of a time instead? If you choose to leave Tucsonan life behind for a bit, this weekend would be the perfect chance to do it.

If you’re willing to take a bit of a road trip, then Apple Annie’s Orchard might be a good place to start your country weekend. Apple Annie’s is located in the town of Willcox, about an hour and a half drive toward New Mexico from Tucson. You don’t get much more stereotypically rural than Willcox. There is a Confederate flag outside the animal hospital. If you can stand leaving the urban scene behind, Apple Annie’s promises special fun this weekend.

For the next two weeks, the orchard is having its harvest festival. Arrive by 10:30 a.m. and you can participate in the All You Can Eat pancake breakfast with hot apple topping or cider syrup. If lunch is more your thing, apple-smoked burgers will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Then comes the fun part — genuine orchard participation. Free tractor rides will take you all across the orchard, where you can pick pears, peaches and apples of all kinds. Pay by weight for what you pick and take it for your trip home, or, if you’re feeling mischievous, sneak a snack from right off the tree.

If you’re looking for a way to cap off your day after apple picking or just don’t want to venture too far away from our beloved Tucson, there’s local country fun to be had, too. The town of Marana, which is located north of Tucson, has been holding its Bluegrass Summer Concert Series on the second Saturday of the month since May.

This Saturday at 6:15 p.m. is the very last chance of 2012 to see the series. A 45-minute jam session precedes the concert at 7, which is being headlined by local Arizona bluegrass outfit Superstition Ridge. Check out the Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance website’s page on the series for the band’s biography — but suffice it to say, they seem to be the real deal when it comes to rough-and-tumble folk players. This jamboree is at Silverbell District Park, about a half hour from the UA, so it’s not too out of a student’s way to have a toe-tapping good time. Plus, it’s free with a suggested but not mandatory donation, and that ought to be a big enough attraction in itself.

If you’re the kind of person to stay on the cutting edge of culture, go outside your comfort zone a bit this weekend and enjoy some folksy fun. The Tucson nightlife will still be there when you get back.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts