The ‘Ph8’ of the Rialto to be unveiled

When most high school garage bands form, their ultimate goal is to play sold-out shows, in front of thousands of fans and flat-out live the life of a rocker. Though local band Ph8 hasn’t exactly signed the million-dollar contract or taken the country by storm yet, the musicians have certainly had an agreeable taste of the big time. The band’s compellingly energetic live performance has landed it opening acts for such rock moguls as Linkin Park, Cotton Mouth Kings, Disturbed and Unwritten Law, and it was even noticed by local radio station KFMA at the very first show it played; there’s definitely no doubting the group’s profound amiability.

The band is made up of four Tucson natives, Marcus Davis (vocals), Michael Hummer (drums), Nando Rivas (guitar) and Andy Pyle (bass). Though the band was formed in 1998 with several different members and has gone as far as even featuring three guitarists at one point, Davis said the group has finally found an ideal formula.

“”The evolution of the band has been amazing,”” Davis said. “”It’s taken a long time, but we’ve finally found ourselves.””

The band’s sophomore album, Fortune Favors Bold, which is set to be released on Saturday, features a unique and radical mix of fresh new tracks. The band’s three-year hiatus since the release of its first, self-titled album was spent feverishly writing and perfecting its sui generis sound, and with the release of a second album fast approaching, the band is confident that hard work and dedication has paid off. Ph8 has created something exciting and cutting edge.

“”We’re not following any trends, were just out to make music,”” said Davis. “”I want people to associate our music with a part of their lives. That’s my goal.””

Though the band’s roots are firmly based in Tucson, starting out as a local high school garage band, recent buzz has been spreading like wildfire.

“”We’re doing real well on the Internet,”” said Hummer. “”People are downloading our music from as far as Canada, so we’re pretty excited.””

With the recent success the band has had as an opening act and local talent, Ph8 has also had the chance to have some pretty unique experiences. Aside from typical rock ‘n’ roll parties, which in the past have consisted of booze, women and whipped cream, the band members have had a chance to hang out with some pretty famous people. Davis told a story of how after the band opened for Linkin Park, he got the chance to get some insightful career advice from their frontman Chester Bennington.

“”He gave me some advice on how to get signed and what type of things we should be doing in the future,”” said Davis. “”My girlfriend and his wife even hit it off. It was a pretty crazy experience.””

Ph8’s first experience of rabid fame came rather unexpectedly. When the band was playing at the Viper Room in Los Angeles, its photographer, who is said to look exactly like Johnny Depp, was bombarded by fans all night long. Though he wasn’t actually the club owner and pirate of the Caribbean himself, their photographer was delightfully mistaken for him.

“”It was hilarious. He totally went with it – he was signing autographs, taking pictures, you know, the whole nine yards,”” said Rivas.

The band’s future seems bright. A coast-to-coast tour is in the works along with a host of various local venues, all to go along with the album kickoff bash Saturday.

In the words of Hummer: “”Our concerts are incredible. I really can’t explain it; you’ve just got to check it out for yourself.””

Ph8 will be hosting an album release party this Saturday at the Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St. The show starts at 9:45 p.m., and tickets are $3 in advance and $4 at the door.