CatScratch

Arizona passing game vs. Stephen F. Austin pass defense

Skinny: Arizona has averaged 151.5 passing yards in its first two games, 70 fewer than sophomore quarterback Willie Tuitama did in five contests last season. While the lack of a quality run game has been a big deterrent, neither Tuitama nor redshirt senior Adam Austin has demonstrated the ability to move the team down the field through the air.

Advantage: Arizona. Although it’s uncertain how much playing time Tuitama will get this weekend after suffering a concussion in the Wildcats’ loss to Louisiana State on Saturday, Austin knows the offense from his three years as a backup. The Lumberjacks have also given up 325 passing yards a game this season, allowing six touchdowns to no interceptions.

Stephen F. Austin quarterback Danny Southall vs. Arizona defense

Skinny: Arizona still has yet to prove under head coach Mike Stoops that it can contain a quarterback who can run and pass. Trying to corral Southall will, if nothing else, be good practice for later in the season, when the Wildcats take on Washington’s Isaiah Stanback and Oregon’s Dennis Dixon.

Advantage: Arizona. Southall, while versatile, has not produced against mediocre competition this season (22-of-40, 189 yards, interception; 19 carries, 38 yards, touchdown) and will likely struggle even more against bigger, faster defenders than he’s used to seeing.

Arizona defensive line vs. Stephen F. Austin running back Jerome Brooks

Skinny: Brooks, a transfer from Purdue, is the most explosive player on the Lumberjacks’ offense, and the Wildcats gave up 231 rushing yards Saturday against LSU. More of a concern than the total itself was that Arizona allowed only 24 yards the week before against BYU. Which side of the Wildcats’ run defense will show up?

Advantage: Arizona. Although Brooks burned the Wildcats for a career-high 122 yards on 21 carries with two touchdowns in Purdue’s 59-7 win over Arizona in 2003, he’s going to have a huge target on his back as the most talented athlete in the Lumberjacks’ four-deep rushing rotation. Moreover, the talent on the Wildcats’ line has improved greatly since Stoops joined the team in 2004.

Prediction

Arizona 24, Stephen F. Austin 6