Podcast: The Daily Wildcat Presents ‘Faith & Philanthropy’ — a three-part series

Faith+and+Philanthropy+
Pascal Albright
Faith and Philanthropy

Welcome listeners to “The Daily Wildcat Presents … ” — the Daily Wildcat‘s home for short-form audio storytelling, including limited series and one-off audio news stories, produced by our student team or our local journalism collaborators.

This series, “Faith & Philanthropy,” was produced as part of the “Confronting Scarcity Project” – a collection of reporting, commentary, maps, audio and more aimed at destigmatizing and amplifying the conversation around food and basic needs insecurity. This project was produced with students and the university community in mind as part of a collaboration between the Daily Wildcat and the UA School of Journalism’s student media apprenticeship program.

Student Ian Green produced this three-part series.

Faith & Philanthropy:

About the three-part “Faith & Philanthropy” series: Close to 80% of all ongoing food and resource support projects around the University of Arizona campus area in Tucson are hosted by organizations tied to some kind of religious institution. Our podcast Faith and Philanthropy seeks to explain why faith-based aid organizations are so prevalent and discusses the impact of religion and religious institutions on the resource support landscape at large, as well as motivations for giving among practitioners of faith. 

Other ways to listen: Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Anchor

Episode 1/3: Religion & Resource Support

In this episode: What about religion and religious communities has led to a long history of philanthropy and what legacies do they leave? 

Episode 2/3: Tucson’s resource distribution landscape

In this episode: What does food distribution in Tucson look like?

Additional resources: An interactive resource map, including food and other resource distribution locations in the relative vicinity of the University of Arizona’s Tucson campus. 

Episode 3/3: The Volunteer’s Perspective

In this episode: Ian talks with Nolan Rose about his experiences with resource distribution both within and outside of faith-based organizations.