Police Beat

Police confiscate joint

A man was cited and released for possession of marijuana on April 24 at 10:48 a.m.

While on patrol, an officer stopped two men on bicycles for a traffic violation. The officer noticed that the men both had large backpacks on and asked to search them. Both men agreed to the search.

In one of the men’s backpacks, an officer found a marijuana joint in the left zippered pocket. He noted that there was also marijuana “”shake”” in the front zippered pocket.

The man told the officer that the joint was not his and he did know it was in there. He was cited and released on scene and the joint was confiscated.

Roommate row draws police, citation

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol on April 24 at 1:11 a.m.

Police responded to the Coronado residence hall in reference to a disturbance coming from one of the rooms. When officers arrived, they made contact with the resident assistant on duty, who took them to the room. While on their way up to the room, the RA told officers that he heard shouting, banging and the sound of glass breaking coming from the room. When he knocked on the door to see if everything was OK, a woman answered, said everything was “”fine”” and then slammed the door. The RA continued to hear yelling and loud bangs from the room, so he called the police.

An officer knocked on the door and the woman answered. The report noted that she could only open the door approximately eight inches because there was something in the way, preventing her from opening it any further.

The officer asked if everything was OK. The woman said “”sure”” and started to shut the door. Police explained to her that they needed to make sure she was OK and asked if there was anyone else in the room. The woman said that she was alone, but the officer noticed a man sitting inside.

The officer then noticed that the woman had blood on her hand. The woman said that she had cut herself while cleaning up the glass that was on the floor just inside of the door.

Police asked to come into the room and the woman agreed. They noted that the room was “”in extreme disarray.”” When the officer asked her about the condition of the room, the woman said that she and her roommate always kept it that way.

An officer then asked about the glass on the floor. The woman said that it was from a picture frame she had thrown at the door when she and her roommate were arguing about letting men stay the night in the room. Police noted that the glass appeared to be from a large, green wine bottle.

Police continued to look around the room and saw an empty half-gallon bottle of vodka next to the bathroom door. When asked about the alcohol, the woman said that they had not been drinking in the room. Officers noticed that she was slurring her words, smelled of intoxicants and had bloodshot, watery eyes.

Police then spoke with the man who was in the room. He said that the roommates had been fighting because he had been in the room when the woman’s roommate came back that evening. The man said that the women only fought like that when they drank. He told police that the woman had been drinking before they “”hooked up.”” The man did not know where the woman’s roommate went when she left. He was released and returned to his room.

The woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol and referred to the Dean of Students Office. She was told to clean up the glass and stop yelling or police would come back. They were unable to locate the woman’s roommate.

‘Just in love’ couple earns date with dean

Two students were cited and released for public sexual indecency on April 26 at 11:07 p.m.

An officer responded to 1641 E. Enke Dr. in reference to two people having sex in a car. When the officer arrived, he met with a police aide who said that while patrolling the parking garage, he noticed a car with two subjects sitting in the passenger seat. The police aide said that he saw the subjects rocking back and forth. As the aide approached the car, he saw that a completely nude woman was sitting on top of a completely nude man, facing him. Because of this, the aide said that he believed the two were engaging in sexual intercourse, so he approached the vehicle.

The woman said that she had been studying in the library when her boyfriend arrived. He walked her to her car, where she said things “”had gone too far.”” She said they had just started having sex when the police aide showed up and that she was wearing a shirt but no pants.

The man told police that he had been hanging out with his girlfriend and they had not planned on things “”going that far”” but they were “”just in love.”” He also said that he was wearing a shirt.

Both people were cited and released for public sexual indecency. They were also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.