Holiday tunes to season your spirit

‘Tis the season — throw a log on the fire, mull some cider and put on some Christmas tunes. We all know the classics, but here’s a collection of must-have albums for this holiday season.

Sufjan Stevens

Songs for Christmas (Recorded 2001-2006)

Indie artist Stevens puts his classic multi-instrumental, elaborate spin on classic songs such as “”Silent Night”” and “”Little Drummer Boy,”” supplemented by nostalgia-drenched instrumentals such as “”Put the Lights on the Tree”” and “”Angels We Have Heard on High.”” The five-EP set, Songs for Christmas, is definitely a diverse collection of festive tunes.

Vince Guaraldi Trio

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Soundtrack to one of the most beloved Christmas specials of all time, jazz composer and pianist Vince Guaraldi’s Peanuts debut gives listeners a chance to celebrate with the lush sounds of 1960s jazz. A good album to play anytime, especially if you want to class up your Christmas activities.

Mariah Carey

Merry Christmas (1994)

When it comes to Christmas classics, Carey’s album is a no-brainer. Whether you like it or not, you probably know all the words to “”All I Want for Christmas Is You”” at this point in your life. Not to mention that high-emotion occasions and Carey’s voice seem to match all too well.

Nat King Cole

The Christmas Song (1963)

Besides the title track, celebrated vocalist and pianist Nat King Cole keeps his soulful promise in this famous Christmas album. Other notable tracks include “”O, Holy Night”” and “”God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.””

Bob Dylan

Christmas in the Heart (2009)

While some might fear a Bob Dylan Christmas album as the union of two parallel universes, Dylan’s nasal-y crooning is paired with instrumentation that keeps the album an expression of folk roots that is disarmingly appropriate.

Doctor Octoroc

8-bit Jesus (2008)

If you get sick of the classics, Doctor Octoroc’s collection of brain-melting videogame sound synth rendered in the sounds of Christmas is an interesting diversion. An album of chip tunes, each song on this nine-track album has a different theme based on the video game, which the sounds came from; tweaking out to “”We Three Konami”” and “”Super Jingle Bros.”” is a refreshing alternative to usual festive tunes.