Calendar

Wednesday, July 15
    The Etherton Gallery downtown is whittling down to “”The Bare Necessity of Art.”” The gallery showcases and sells its inventory for an average of 20 – 30 percent less than what the works regular prices. On display are pieces diverse in content and mediums, but equivalent in the level of excellence expected from Etherton. Books are also available.
    Etherton Gallery, 135 S. 6th Ave., (520) 624-7370, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Wednesday – Saturday.

Thursday, July 16
    Open mic nights at Laffs Comedy Club are a win-win situation. If you aren’t laughing with the comedians, you can always laugh at them. After choosing between applauding the newcomers or throwing food on stage, a professional comedian will close the show, so you’ll be sure to hear at least a few good jokes.
    Laffs Comedy Club, 2900 E. Broadway Blvd., (520) 323-8669, 8 p.m., Free.

Friday, July 17
    If you love romantic comedies like “”Garden State,”” and “”Juno”” you’ll eat up the sweet and quirky “”(500) Days of Summer.”” This lighthearted feature is now out on the big screen for a limited release after charming the Sundance Film Festival. In a tale of modern love’s rollercoaster, indie-flick “”it girl”” Zooey Deschanel plays Summer Finn, the capricious object of affection of hopeless romantic Tom Hanson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, from “”3rd Rock From the Sun”” is all grown up and plays the smitten protagonist Tom. Check out foxsearchlight.com/500daysofsummer for more information.

Saturday, July 18
    Happy Halloween! No, the heat wave has not yet made the Wildcat staff totally delirious. Salt River Tubing and Recreation is actually celebrating Halloween early with costumes, treats, haunted bus rides, and a spooky river set up. Whether you dress up in an elaborate costume to win a free tube rental pass or just come as a UA student with a cooler full of drinks, A Haunting Halloween on Salt River is a chilling way to spend a hot Saturday in July.
    Salt River Tubing and Recreation, 1320 N. Bush Hwy, (480) 984-0875, www.saltrivertubing.com, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., $15 cash only.

Sunday, July 19
    Don’t have a pool of your own? Party with the professionals at Doubletree Hotel as they host their Liquid Sun Days Pool Party. Every Sunday, come to the hotel without renting a room to enjoy cool water, a resident DJ, poolside food service, and drink specials.
    Doubletree Hotel, 445 S. Alvernon, (520) 881-4200, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., $5, 21+.

Monday, July 20
    To all with a case of the Mondays, good news! There is almost nothing better than a heavy dose of local metal bands to cure even the most serious case of Monday monotony. Break away from the boring as Tucson bands Sarafan, Sedulity, Doctor Doctor and Project Fear Bomb blast your face off with pounding drums, violent guitar and ear-shattering vocals. Now how’s that for some sonic stimulation?
    The Living Room, 413 E. 5th St., 7 p.m., $5.

Tuesday, July 21
    If you are shopping around Fourth Avenue for not only local designer digs but an art show, stop by Zoe Boutique’s “”Dream,”” which is featuring five local female artists whose artworks hold an alluring and ethereal quality. From gorgeous figural work to reflective abstractions, “”Dream”” presents an impressive collection of art with its head in the clouds.
    Zoe Boutique, 735 N. 4th Ave., www.zoestyle.com, Monday – Saturday, 11 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Tauni Malmgren