Police Beat: September 11

Drinking 60 year-old kicked back off campus
    A 60-year-old man was arrested for consuming alcohol in public and loitering on school grounds at 9:43 p.m. on Sept. 6.
    Shortly before the man was arrested, a University of Arizona Police Department officer had been completing a security check of Esquire Apartments on Park Avenue.

He noticed a male sitting inside the west exterior door when he walked to the center of the courtyard area. The man was under the exterior light, drinking from a silver can and reading a book when the officer approached him. The UAPD officer recognized the man because he currently holds an exclusionary order for all UA properties as well as his previous contacts and arrests.

He was drinking out of a cold 24-ounce can of Steel Reserve beer that was 3/4 full. The officer asked the man if he knew he wasn’t allowed to be on UA property and the man went on to explain that he was not on campus and was just waiting for a friend.

Although the man claimed he was not on campus, the Esquire Apartment complex is labeled as UA property. The man was then cited and released.

Bike thief breaks bad
    Two UAPD officers were patrolling an area near Highland Commons just before 11:45 p.m. on Sept. 6 when they were called to the scene of a bicycle theft.

The officers saw a male matching the description given to them, heavy set and tall, on the west side of Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall. The man claimed he had just been taking a walk through campus. After doing a records check, the officers found the man had two warrants out from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office for shoplifting. He was immediately detained and questioned.

He said that the bike he was tampering with was his friend’s, which officers were able to confirm with a phone call. The man explained to the officers that he and another friend had been on campus earlier, attempting to steal a bicycle, but his friend left him. He also admitted that he had a syringe in his front pocket, which he used to inject crystal methamphetamine.

The syringe was placed into evidence. The man was arrested and transported to Pima County Jail.

Man reports sirius theft
    A UAPD officer contacted a UA employee at 9:14 a.m. on Sept. 5 after he had reported the day before that his XM satellite radio receiver had been stolen from his Ford Mustang convertible while parked in the Main Gate Parking Garage.
    The employee said no other harm had been done to his car. He said he had locked his vehicle before leaving the parking garage earlier that day. Unknown suspects had entered his vehicle without leaving any damage to the door or soft convertible top.

The employee stated that he would like to be involved in an future criminal proceedings.