Students camp with youth at Bear Down Gym

Mark Golab, a pre-business sophomore, learns about the Camp Wildcat activity from Kelsey Rendelman, a sociology freshman, left, Missy Nagin, a family development junior and co-director of the event and Victoria Olsen-Mikitowicz, right, a veterinary sciences sophomore and event co-director.

Members of Camp Wildcat will host 60 students from Hohokam Middle School today through Sunday at Bear Down Gym for a weekend of camping, fun and learning.

The purpose of the weekend is to get middle school students interested in university studies and encourage a sense of success in life.

“”The experience is amazing because after the weekend the students feel like they can go to college,”” said Christina Ceccato, senior majoring in molecular and cellular biology and vice chairwoman of Camp Wildcat.

Camp Wildcat selects participants from schools with high concentrations of economically disadvantaged students.

Hohokam was selected because of its remote location from the UA campus, where volunteers say it is less likely for students to relate to higher education, said Victoria Olsen, a veterinary sciences junior and club and camp co-director.

More than 40 Camp Wildcat members will participate in the activities.

Members are from numerous majors and camp leaders said this fact will add to the overall learning experience of the campers.

The camp’s activities will include skits performed by campers and a trip to the UA chemistry lab, where students will participate in science experiments.

Camp Wildcat volunteers from the nursing college will also give lessons in CPR. Members will show campers around campus to familiarize them with college life.

Camp Wildcat holds three camps during the academic year and one during the summer at Mount Lemmon and other Southern Arizona locations.

Ceccato said the summer camp is great for kids who would not otherwise be able to afford summer camp.

“”I like being able to take kids out of their element and giving them experiences they wouldn’t otherwise get,”” said Lara White, a chemistry junior and Camp Wildcat member. “”It’s the thing I’m most proud of in my college career.””

Ceccato said the average cost of a camp is $4,000, but all activities run by Camp Wildcat are provided at no cost to students. This is made possible because of extensive fundraising by the club, which includes auctions and a benefit concert yesterday at Club Congress.

Olive Garden, On The Border and Jimmy John’s will also provide meals for this weekend.

Olsen said the club is extremely thankful for all of the donations they have received.

The club has received funding from the Associated Students of the University of Arizona for past events, but was denied funding for buses to bring students from Hohokam to the UA campus.

“”We had problems getting funding, but we understand their funding is tight,”” Olsen said.

Camp Wildcat has been at the UA since 1965 and currently has more than 100 members. The club was awarded the best club award by ASUA in 2007.

“”It’s great to be surrounded by such great people, working for such a great cause,”” said Garrett Hoxie, a computer science senior and president of Camp Wildcat.